Residents asked to shop local in La Jolla on Small Business Saturday
Small Business Saturday encourages people to support small businesses and shop local every year on the Saturday after Thanksgiving — this year on Nov. 30, 2013 — with the campaign founded by American Express in 2010.
So forget Black Friday crowds and don’t wait for Cyber Monday — shop local on Small Business Saturday, Nov. 30, 2013.
To promote the occasion, American Express created the Neighborhood Champions program, working with business groups such as the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, the American Independent Business Alliance, the U.S. Black Chamber and the Latino Coalition to organize Small Business Saturday events in communities throughout the country.
To date, more than 1,000 Neighborhood Champions have united businesses in their municipalities to host local activities leading up to and on the day.
Last year independent retailers showcased great deals, incredible customer service, and an amazing selection of unique merchandise. This year, neighborhoods are coming together to make the day even bigger.
Elected officials in all 50 states and Washington, D.C. also championed Small Business Saturday last year — including President Obama, who took his daughters on a shopping trip to an independent bookstore in Arlington.
• More information and get $10 back from American Express:
Visit SmallBusinessSaturday.com to see a list of local businesses participating in the “Spend $10, get $10 back offer.” At that website, American Express users can also register their credit card to receive $10 back on their account statements upon spending $10 or more at select businesses.
• LA JOLLA SPECIALS: To see La Jolla Light’s Holiday Gift Guide for specials, discounts and holiday events from local businesses, you can easily flip-through a digital version of the Nov. 28, 2013 issue of La Jolla Light at http://issuu.com/lajollalight2010/docs/11-28-2013_la_jolla_light/1?e=1855587/5775312
- County will pitch in to help grandparents raising grandkids
- School board to consider school closures Tuesday night
- Motion granted seeking to have Mt. Soledad cross case heard by U.S. Supreme Court
- ‘Green’ architect set for talk on ‘Simplicity’ on June 1
- Report: San Diego housing price ticks up in 4th quarter
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=117379