Best Bets for fun things to do in and around La Jolla, Nov. 14-22
La Jolla Garden Club member and master gardener Rilla Crane will make a presentation titled, “Going Green Creative Designs,” at the next meeting, 1 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 19 at La Jolla Lutheran Church, 7117 La Jolla Blvd. A reception/tea follows. Guests are welcome. For a reservation, e-mail Ginger Taylor at firstname.lastname@example.org
La Jolla Photo Travelers Club will host Tom Leech speaking about his book, “On the Road in ’68: A Year of Turmoil, A Journey of Friendship.” The audio/visual event begins 7:30 p.m. Monday, Nov. 18 at Wesley Palms, 2404 Loring St., east of Soledad Mountain Road in Pacific Beach. Leech was an aerospace engineer in December 1967 when he and a friend headed off for Europe. When the friend left, Leech decided to keep on trekking. His journey around the world involved 27 countries over six months. Free admission, parking and refreshments.
SEA Days: Kelp Kornucopia
Uncover ways that people and ocean animals depend on kelp, an amazing seaweed found in underwater forests off La Jolla and featured on Birch Aquarium’s new logo. Meet Scripps coastal researchers, watch an interactive Kelp Tank Feeding Show, and get your hands slimy with real kelp, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m., Saturday, Nov. 16 at 2300 Expedition Way. Admission: $12.50-$17. (858) 534-3474. aquarium.ucsd.edu
• The Meccorre Quartet from Poland (Aleksandra Bryła, violin; Wojciech Koprowski, violin; Michał Bryła, viola and Karol Marianowski, cello) flouts convention by incorporating elements of jazz and literature into its programs and performing in places with limited access to culture. Here them perform Haydn’s String Quartet No. 1 in B minor, Op. 33/1, H. 3/37; Szymanowski’s String Quartet No. 2, Op. 56, M64; and Schumann’s String Quartet No. 1 in A minor, Op. 41/1, at 8 p.m. Friday, Nov. 15 at Conrad Prebys Concert Hall UC San Diego. Tickets: $36-54.
(858) 534-8497. www.artpower.ucsd.edu
• Trumpeter Sean Jones will bring his quartet and sumptuous post-bop sounds to The Loft at UCSD, 8 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 21, second floor of Price Center East. Tickets: $30 and $18. Bites and beverages for purchase at 7 p.m.
Use your imagination to wander into a forest depicted in a painting by Thomas Gainsborough as storyteller Harlynne Geisler shares the Italian fairytale, “The Adventures of Bona and Nello,” 11 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 16, Timken Museum of Art, Balboa Park. Craft project follows. Ages 5 and up are welcome. Admission and art materials are free. (619) 239-5548.
Kids are invited to learn how to make a Sewn Journal Book, from San Diego Book Art instructors, 3:30 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 19 at La Jolla Riford Library, 7555 Draper Ave. Space is limited. Signup at Youth Desk. Free. (858) 552-1657.
An artists reception for “Miniatures Plus,” will be held, 5-7 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 16 at the La Jolla Art Association, 8100 Paseo Del Ocaso. The exhibition is up through Nov. 24 for viewing, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesdays-Sundays. (858) 459-1196.
In 1966, French composer Maurice Durufle journeyed from Paris to La Jolla to conduct his “Requiem,” with Madame Durufle at the organ console. Nearly 50 years later, the St. James Choir and a chamber orchestra, including members of the San Diego Symphony, will present this masterpiece from 20th-century choral literature, 4 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 17 at St. James by the Sea, 743 Prospect St. Using a variety of colors and styles, the requiem is based entirely on Gregorian chant themes. In addition, Alison Luedecke will perform the Poulenc Organ Concerto. Tickets: $25–$30. (858) 459-3421. www.sjbts.org
- Best Bets for fun things to do in and around La Jolla, May 23-30
- Best Bets for Fun Things To Do In and Around La Jolla, July 5-July 12
- Best Bets for things to do around La Jolla, Sept. 8-15
- Best Bets for cool things to do in and around La Jolla, Aug. 4-13
- Best Bets for interesting things to do in and around La Jolla, April 14-23
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=116649