UPDATED: Bicyclist hospitalized after being struck by a car on Torrey Pines Road
A 77-year-old bicyclist was severely injured after getting hit by a car on the 2700 block of Torrey Pines Road in La Jolla, Tuesday, Nov. 5 authorities said. The incident occurred about 11:30 a.m., according to San Diego police.
The cyclist was traveling uphill in the righthand bike lane when he collided with a vehicle approaching from behind in the righthand traffic lane, San Diego Police spokesperson Ed Zwibel said. The cyclist, reportedly wearing a helmet, was thrown to the ground and sustained serious head injuries and other injuries. The cause of the incident is still under investigation, but alcohol and drugs were not a factor, Zwibel said. The driver was a 66-year-old female.
Medics took the victim to Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla, where he was admitted for treatment of serious injuries, and remained in serious condition on Thursday..
- Repaving project stalls traffic on Torrey Pines Road in La Jolla, May 29-30
- Starbucks, Chipotle coming into former bank building
- Overturned car ties up traffic on Torrey Pines Road during rush hour
- Police diverting traffic in La Jolla due to downed trees
- Two-car collision causes pileup on Torrey Pines Road
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=116297