Best Bets for fun things to do in and around La Jolla, Oct. 24-31
Dracula is Back!
And by popular demand, according to California Ballet, which will present the dance drama, 8 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 26, and 5:30 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 27 at San Diego Civic Theatre, 110 Third Ave. (Not appropriate for children under age 8.) Tickets: $22-$60. (858) 560-6741. Californiaballet.org
Two from ArtPower!
• St. Lawrence String Quartet, 8 p.m. Friday, Oct. 25 Conrad Prebys Concert hall UC San Diego. On the program, Haydn’s String Quartet No. 55 in D major, Op. 71/2, H. 3/70; Bohuslav Martinu: String Quartet
No. 5, H. 268; Giuseppe Verdi: String Quartet in E minor. Bites and Beverages available at 7 p.m. Tickets: $36-$54
• AnDa Union’s 10 singers and instrumentalists from Inner Mongolia describe themselves as music gatherers, digging deep into the Mongol traditions of Genghis Khan’s unified tribes and unearthing forgotten musical histories. They perform on indigenous instruments and in the khoomii, throat-singing, style. AnDa Union’s concerts feature driving, percussive pieces like “Ten Thousand Galloping Horses” and “Grasslands Journey,” as well as the clear long notes of urinduu, or long-song, 8 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 27, Price Center East Ballroom, UCSD. Tickets: $30(858) 534-8497. artpower.ucsd.edu
Authors Visit Bookstore
• Stephen Michael Shearer, author, actor and director, will discuss his new book, “Gloria Swanson: The Ultimate Star,” 7 p.m. Friday, Oct. 25 at D.G. Wills Books.
• Seth Lerer, Distinguished Professor of Literature and Dean of Arts and Humanities at UCSD, will talk about his new work, “Prospero’s Son: Life, Books, Love and Theater,” 7 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 26 at D.G. Wills Books, 7461 Girard Ave. Free. (858) 456-1800. dgwillsbooks.com
The 23rd anniversary season of the Barbara and William Karatz Chamber Concert Series opens with a program from Formosa String Quartet, 7:30 p.m. Oct. 27 at the Athenaeum Music and Arts Library, 1008 Wall St. Tickets: $40, $45. (858) 454-5872. www.ljathenaeum.org/chamberconcerts
La Jolla Music Society opens its Cabaret Series with Broadway legend Audra McDonald, 8 p.m. Friday, Oct. 25 at the Balboa Theatre. Joined by a jazz ensemble, the two-time Grammy Award-winner will perform an intimate evening of favorite show tunes, classic songs from the movies and original pieces written especially for her. Tickets: $27-$87. (858) 459-3728. LJMS.org
Wash down a salty, soft pretzel with a fine craft brew as you stroll down the Budenstrassa (Avenue of Booths) nestled in the stacks at the next A-Listers event, 7 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 24 at the Athenaeum, 1008 Wall St.
“Oktoberfest: Books, Beers, & Brats” will also feature games of chance, viewing Jim Machacek’s walk-in novel, “The Kincade Chronicles,” and big brass music. Lederhosen encouraged; accordions verboten. Admission: Free to A-Listers, $12 nonmembers.(858) 454-5872. www.ljathenaeum.org/alist
San Diego Junior Theatre kicks off its 66th season with the musical set in a magical kingdom fathoms below where the beautiful young mermaid, Ariel, longs to leave her ocean home to live in the world above. But first, she’ll have to defy her father King Triton, make a deal with the evil sea witch Ursula, and convince Prince Eric that she’s the girl with the enchanting voice. The cast stars 58 San Diego County youths, 7 p.m. Fridays and 2 p.m. weekends, Oct. 25-Nov. 17 at Balboa Park’s Casa del Prado Theatre. Tickets: $10-$14. (619) 239-8355. juniortheatre.com
Professional Theatre for Families at North Coast Repretory Theatre will stage “Sleeping Beauty,” 11 a.m. Oct. 26 and 27, plus Nov. 2, 3, 9 and 10, at NCRT, 987 Lomas Santa Fe Drive, Solana Beach. Tickets: $16-$20. (858) 481-1055 northcoastrep.org/TheatreSChool
Cellist Janet White and pianist Glenn Vanstrum will perform sonatas by Beethoven, Delius and Brahms, 2 p.m., Sunday, Oct. 27 at Riford Library, 7555 Draper Ave. Free.
Fourth Fridays Jazz
Award-winning flautist Lori Bell will be joined by pianist Grant Levin and bassist Bob Magnusson, Friday, Oct. 25 at La Jolla Community Center, 6811 La Jolla Blvd. Doors open at 7 p.m., the msuic starts at 8 p.m. Tickets: $20-25, includes show, hors d’oeuvres, a glass of wine and free valet. (858) 459-0831. ljcommunitycenter.org
Trumpet player Tegan Taylor, Trails & Rails, and guitarist Tommy Maurer will perform 7:30 p.m. Friday, Oct. 25 as guests of the Acoustic Evenings Series at the Athenaeum Music & Arts Library, 1008 Wall St. Tickets: $12-$17. (858) 454-5872. ljathenaeum.org/specialconcerts
A funny, gender-bending exploration of the holy grail of female anatomy – the breast — takes to the stage in “The Boob Show,” hosted by two cancer survivors, Amy Lisewski and Peggy Walkush, 7 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 27 at Finest City Improv’s newly constructed theater space, 4250 Louisiana St. in North Park (attached to the Lafayette Hotel). All ticket sales will be donated to Making Strides Against Breast Cancer at the American Cancer Society. Tickets (adults-only show): $30 and $60. www.finestcityimprov.com.
- Best Bets for things to do in La Jolla, Sept. 12-19, 2013
- Best Bets for fun things to do in and around La Jolla, Aug. 8-16
- Best Bets for fun things to do in and around La Jolla, June 20-27
- Best Bets for fun things to do in and around La Jolla, April 4-12, 2013
- Best Bets for fun things to do in and around La Jolla, the week of May 6-May13
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=115868