La Jolla Shores hosts Summer Sports Clinic for injured veterans
By Ashley Mackin
White tents popped up at La Jolla Shores last week as part of the Summer Sports Clinic presented by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs (VA).
The clinic was sponsored by Surf Diva so that injured veterans could be treated to a day at the beach. Some veterans went surfing, assisted by Surf Diva instructors and volunteers, many of whom were veterans themselves.
Surf Diva provided adaptive equipment, such as surfboards with handles, for those who must surf lying down. Although some of the vets had difficulty walking, they enjoyed surfing on their stomachs nonetheless.
The Summer Sports Clinic is part of a national effort to provide outdoor activities that complement the therapies recently injured vets undergo. “Its fundamental purpose is to provide early intervention for veterans battling back from injury, not only to strengthen their bodies, but to overcome and improve their overall being and self-worth,” the VA’s website states.
- La Jolla Shores hosts VA Summer Sports Clinic
- La Jolla’s Surf Diva online in Yahoo! Shine series on business success
- Biggest tomato plant in La Jolla?
- Polar Bear Plunge set for 10 a.m. Jan. 1 at La Jolla’s Kellogg Park in the Shores
- Surf Diva Boutique nominated for Women’s Retailer of the Year & Breakthrough Retailer of the Year
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=114146