Author to discuss war on cancer, Oct. 2 in La Jolla
The Center for Ethics in Science and Technology will present Clifton Leaf, Contributing Editor at Fortune Magazine and author of “The Truth in Small Doses: Why We’re Losing the War on Cancer — and How to Win It,” 5:30-7 p.m. Wednesday, Oct. 2, at the Auditorium at The Scripps Research Institute (formerly Neurosciences Institute), 10640 John Jay Hopkins Drive, La Jolla.
Half a century ago, a man named Denis Burkitt unraveled a cancer mystery that no single researcher would ever have solved on his or her own. Burkitt and his team not only saved an untold number of young lives, but also taught the world how powerful true scientific collaboration can be. The success of this model raises questions for us today:
• Are cultural, academic, and institutional barriers slowing the process of medical science?
• If so, do each of us, in our own way, have an ethical imperative to remove them?
- La Jolla man fatally shot in Los Angeles
- La Jolla liquor store held up
- Video game crowd competes at UCSD
- Former La Jolla realtor sentenced for scratching eight babies
- Melissa Winter comes back to La Jolla to accept Bishop’s award
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=114277