Scientists, surfers join up to wipe out cancer at 20th annual Luau & Longboard Invitational in La Jolla
Event attendees arrive at the Luau & Longboard Invitational at Scripps Institution of Oceanography, Aug. 18.
• PHOTO GALLERY: Click on the NEXT> button above to see all 7 photos from the Luau and Longboard Invitational.
By Greg Wiest
It was a beautiful day for the 20th annual Luau and Longboard Invitational on Aug. 18, 2013 at Scripps Pier, which featured some of the biggest names in surfing teaming up with amateurs to raise research funds for the UC San Diego Moores Cancer Center. I’m not sure how much money was netted, but the mai tais were flowing, and the bidders were bidding! What a great group of people!
This year’s Rell Sunn Award was presented to Kary Mullis. In 1993, Mullis won the Nobel Prize in chemistry for his invention of the polymerase chain reaction, considered one of the most monumental scientific techniques of the 20th century.
The event included an auction of one-of-a-kind prizes and entertainment by Hawaiian folk rock singer Anuhea and traditional Polynesian dancing from Heali’i’s Polynesian Revue. For more information, visit longboardluau.org
• SEE RELATED STORY – Longboard Luau: La Jolla surfing event has funded cancer research for two decades: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=111885
- Family fun abounds at 50th annual Kiwanis pancake breakfast in La Jolla
- La Jolla Community Center guests spend ‘A Night with the Opera Singing Chef’
- San Diego Opera buffs gather at 2013 season opening gala
- Premium wines gathered for upcoming Bishop’s School auction, gala in La Jolla
- La Jolla Cove Swim Club takes a Polar Bear Plunge into the New Year
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=112139