La Jolla Community Center’s first jazz concert in new series is a hit!
The premiere of La Jolla Community Center’s “Fourth Fridays Jazz Series” drew a crowd of music-lovers to the center on July 26, for a performance by jazz flutist Lori Bell, piano great Mike Garson and standup bass icon Rob Thorson.
The evening began with a wine and hors d’oeuvres reception followed by Garson asking the audience to select four random notes from the musical scale, around which he built a stunning piano improvisation.
Garson was then joined by Bell and Thorson for 90 minutes of world-class jazz standards by, among others, Wayne Shorter and Dave Brubeck The musicians’ intuitive interplay was thrilling to hear and the three virtuosos enjoyed their inventive palette just as much as those in attendance.
The jazz series is a great value because it’s been underwritten by Bankers Life and Casualty Company and Home Care of La Jolla. For reservations for the next concert, a Latin/Brazilian-jazz inspired musical journey set for 7 p.m. Friday, Aug. 23 with Bell, guitarist/vocalist/pianist Ron Satterfield and percussionist Kevin Koch, contact the Community Center at (858) 459-0831 or ljcommunitycenter.org Pre-purchased tickets (includes show admission, hors d’oeuvres, a glass of wine and free valet parking): $15 members; $20 non-members. Tickets at the door: $20-25. —Nancy Walters
- La Jolla Community Center’s Fourth Fridays Jazz series presents Lori Bell & Friends
- Lecture series on bluegrass music set for La Jolla’s Athenaeum
- La Jolla bands to get big exposure via Weather Channel reality show
- La Jolla Music Society’s SummerFest 2012 ventures boldly into second quarter-century
- La Jolla Symphony & Chorus tackles rare Beethoven piece
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=111631