Kaiserhof’s Goulash Soup
(Makes approximately 9 cups)
• 1 pound beef round, cut into cubes 1/2-inch to 3/4-inch
• 1 pound onion, diced fine (about 2 medium onions)
• 3 tablespoons olive oil
• 2 teaspoons sea salt
• 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
• 1 1/2 tablespoons paprika
• 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
• 2 teaspoons marjoram
• 2 cloves garlic, chopped
• 2 bay leaves
• 1 teaspoon caraway
• 3 tablespoons tomato puree
• 2 tablespoons ketchup
• 7 cups beef stock
• 1/2 pound carrots, diced half-inch (they should be smaller than the beef, because the beef will shrink)
• 1/2 pound potatoes, diced same as carrots
Method: Place beef and onions in bowl; add salt, pepper, paprika and cayenne pepper, and mix.
In saute pan, heat oil; add meat mixture, stirring on high heat for approximately 5 minutes.
Add cooked meat and onions to stock pot; deglaze pan with some of the beef stock and put contents of pan into stock pot. Add remainder of beef stock to pot.
Add marjoram, bay leaf, garlic, caraway, tomato puree and ketchup; bring to a boil, then lower to a slow simmer. Cook for one hour. Add carrots and potatoes; cook for 20 minutes. Thicken with a little cornstarch/water mixture; serve.
- Promiscuous Fork’s Jalapeño Poppers
- The Hake Kitchen & Bar’s Cerviche
- Truluck’s La Jolla Pan-Seared Soft Shell Crab in Brown Butter Lemon-Caper Sauce
- Flagship Cruises’ Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- On the Menu Recipe: Port Wine Braised Beef Short Ribs from Chef Jason Knibb of Nine-Ten
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=111511