La Jollans celebrate diversity at annual San Diego LGBT Pride events
La Jolla Playhouse, a member of GSDBA, San Diego’s LGBT chamber of commerce, had a presence in the Pride parade.
PHOTO GALLERY: Click on the NEXT> button above to see all 10 photos from the San Diego LGBT Pride events.
La Jollans were among the estimated 400,000 people who participated in the 2013 San Diego LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) Pride events, including a sold-out gala Friday night, July 12 at the historic Burnham House near Balboa Park.
The event was a fundraiser for the Rob Benzon Foundation, which provides financial assistance to San Diegans suffering from a catastrophic event who require emergency support, as well as local charitable causes serving youth and the LGBT communities.
The organization is named after Rob Benzon, a 31-year-old San Diegan who drowned on June 5, 1999 after getting caught in a rip current while on vacation in Acapulco. More information at robbenzon.org
The annual San Diego LGBT Pride Parade was held Saturday, July 13 with co-grand marshals Brad and George Takei (best known for portraying Sulu from the original “Star Trek” TV series) and entertainer/singer La Toya Jackson.
Embattled San Diego Mayor Bob Filner, who issued a statement on July 12 saying his appearance at Pride would be a “distraction” and that he would not be attending, made a surprise visit to the pride festival in Balboa Park on Sunday, July 14.
- San Diego Center for Children marks its 126th year at dinner gala
- Baja Knights Auction and party supports students, faculty at The Bishop’s School in La Jolla
- La Jolla Community Center guests spend ‘A Night with the Opera Singing Chef’
- Las Patronas awards grantee checks at annual Beneficiaries Luncheon in La Jolla
- Las Patronas welcomes new class, reveals 2013 Jewel Ball theme at La Jolla luncheon
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=110375