Crews make emergency rescue at Black’s Beach near La Jolla
Emergency crews rappelled down a sea bluff near Blacks Beach Wednesday, July 17 to rescue an injured man who had fallen partway down the precipice and was stuck there along with an unharmed hiking companion.
The pair, whose names were not released, wound up stranded on the sandstone cliff near Torrey Pines Gliderport shortly after 10 a.m., according to the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department.
Lifeguards used ropes to lower themselves down to the man and woman, SDFRD spokesman Maurice Luque said. A helicopter crew then airlifted the man to a nearby parking lot, where he was loaded into an ambulance for transport to Scripps Memorial Hospital in La Jolla for treatment of an apparent leg fracture.
The woman, meanwhile, was strapped in a harness and lowered to the beach.
The rescue took about 90 minutes to complete.
- Border Patrol agents detain two in connection with abandoned boat found at Black’s Beach in La Jolla
- Paraglider rescued at Torrey Pines, airlifted to La Jolla hospital
- Lifeguards rescue naked hiker at Black’s Beach
- Council signs off on deal for Black’s Beach lifeguards
- Lightner announces lifeguards restored at Black’s Beach
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=110309