La Jolla man killed in east county glider crash
Two men killed Saturday, June 29, in a glider crash near the county-owned airport east of Jacumba, have been identified today by the medical examiner office.
Killed in the crash were Richard Riley Noble, 63, of La Jolla and Martin Gary Rothwell, 54, of San Diego.
Noble was the son of a pilot and a decorated Navy aviator who served aboard the Midway aircraft carrier during the Gulf War, according to 10News San Diego.
The station reported that Noble was on his first glider lesson with his flight instructor, Rothwell.
The medical examiner’s office said Noble and Rothwell’s glider was towed and the towline was released at about 100 feet.
Both men were killed when their glider went out of control, rapidly decelerated and struck the ground, according to the medical examiner’s office.
The Federal Aviation Administration was continuing an investigation into the glider crash.
–City News Service
- La Jolla Town Council to hold trustee elections March 14
- La Jollan Michael Sonduck takes the reins as Jewish Federation CEO
- Son hits a grand slam with his Mother’s Day gift
- New mandatory outdoor watering times now in effect
- ‘45’ in the 92037: How would a Romney presidency change La Jolla?
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=109490