Divers announce ‘Rocks, Rips and Reefs’ underwater instruction schedule
The San Diego Council of Divers has announced the 2013 schedule for its Rocks, Rips and Reefs in-water education and site-orientation program for divers and snorkelers.
Participants are first briefed on the interaction of surf, swell and tides, and then enter the water to tour popular dive sites with experienced instructors. Former lifeguards provide all instruction. The program is held on Saturdays. Check-in begins at 8 a.m., mandatory briefing starts at 8:15 a.m. and participants enter the water 8:30 a.m.
Instruction is free and open to the public, though donations are accepted and used to keep this program operating. SCUBA Certification is not required, but swimming experience is recommended. Participants must sign a liability waiver as part of registration. Participants aged 17 or younger must have the waiver signed by a parent or legal guardian to participate.
For more information, visit sddivers.com
• Boomer beach/La Jolla Cove: June 15, meet at 1150 Coast Blvd. (near the beach steps)
• Bird Rock: June 29, meet at 600 Camino de la Costa
• Goldfish Point (near La Jolla caves): July 13, meet at 1325 Coast Blvd. (near the old shell shop)
• Marine Street: July 27, meet at 244 Marine St.
• Shell Beach: Aug. 10, meet at 1000 Coast Blvd. (top of the beach stairs)
• Hospital Point: Aug. 24, meet at 400 Coast. Blvd. (south of Cuvier Street)
• Children’s Pool and South Casa Beach: Sept. 28, meet at the lifeguard tower at 850 Coast Blvd.
- Lifeguards dealing with tough working conditions at Children’s Pool
- Stingrays beware: Humans are coming
- Children’s Pool cleanup planned
- Lifeguards rescue naked hiker at Black’s Beach
- Paraglider rescued at Torrey Pines, airlifted to La Jolla hospital
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=108277