Roy’s Seared Sea Scallops
Honey Coriander Glaze
• 2.26kg honey
• 180g vegetable stock
• 9g coriander, whole
• 0.7g crushed red pepper
• 40g ginger
Combine all ingredients; bring to a boil.
Remove from the heat and blend immediately until the coriander is fine, 2 minutes on number 6.
• 500g sunchokes, peeled, chopped
• 65g roasted garlic
• 380g cream
• 1g salt
Use the final weight and add 0.17% xanthan gum to tighten up the mix.
Add ingredients into heavy bottom sauce pot.
Cover with a cartouche.
Cook for approximately 20 minutes until sunchokes are tender and the crème has doubled.
Blend on high for 2 minutes.
Next add the xanthan gum to tighten. MAKE SURE YOU WEIGHT IT PROPER AND DO THE RATIO CORRECTLY.
Pork Belly Marinade
• 2.3kg pork belly
• 250g olive oil
• 150g soy sauce – gluten-free
• 30g fish sauce
• 120g brown sugar
• 17g Szechuan peppercorn, crushed
• 15g juniper berries, crushed
• 12g Chinese five-spice powder
Cook at 72 degrees C for 12 hours.
Frisee & Cilantro Herb Salad Mix
• 20g cilantro
• 20g Thai basil (julienned)
• 10g chive sticks
• 150g frisee
• 50g frilly mustard
• 60g fennel- shaved thinly on the mandolin- no longer then 1.5 inches
Mix all ingredients together in place in an ice bath to make the greens crispy. Prior to service, drain from water and lay on a towel.
Green apple julienne to order
• 1/2 cup curry powder
• 1/4 cup water
• 2 each orange juice fresh
• 1 cup rice wine vinegar
• 3 cups canola oil
Combine curry powder and water to make a paste.
Place all ingredients except the oil into a blender.
Turn on to 4 and slowly emulsify in the vegetable oil. Season with kosher salt and strain.
Strain through a chinois.
Plate & Cooking Procedure
• 3 each scallops u10
• 3 each pork belly
• 15g honey coriander glaze (brush on)
• 60g sunchoke puree
• 20g green apple
• 40g frisee and herb salad mix
• 28g curry emulsion
Place vegetable oil onto the flat top. Season the scallops with kosher salt and black pepper, and sear until golden brown on both sides.
At the same time, place 3 pieces of pork belly on the flat top to render down.
Once the pork belly is rendered on both sides, remove and brush with the honey coriander glaze.
In a small mixing bowl, toss the green apple and frisee, mix with salt and curry emulsion.
Place 3 dollops of sunchoke puree on a plate.
On the left side of the plate, place a small dot of the curry emulsion and drag across the plate.
Next, place the pork belly down, and then the scallops.
Finish by garnishing each one with the salad mix.
- Amaya’s Spicy Chili-Lime Shrimp
- Prepkitchen’s Meyer Lemon Cheesecake
- Caffe Bella Italia’s Zuppa di Barbabietola e Zenzero con Ricotta Acida
- The Broken Yolk’s The Mom Omelet Vegetarian
- Bangkok Bay’s Chicken Satay
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=107694