Opinion: The Mayor’s the Man! … If he can quell the Cove Stench
OPINION / OUR VIEW: La Jolla Light Editorial
Mayor Bob Filner continues to hold the media spotlight as he charges through the bureaucracy at San Diego City Hall to get things done for the people who voted him into office just seven months ago. La Jollan’s fears that he would only focus on city-core issues instead of neighborhood needs have proved unfounded, as the mayor’s presence in La Jolla has been steady since November.
Though many fault him for closing the Children’s Pool after dark and stationing a police officer at the beach to keep the peace at taxpayer expense, others sing his praises for decisive action and wisdom in approving installation of the internationally popular Seal Cam.
Now it appears the mayor has heard La Jolla’s calls for cleansing the fouled Cove cliffs, whicg emit a gut-wrenching stench that has been killing shoreline tourism for at least two years — and has ordered a vacuum cleanup within 10 days.
The Light will be watching to see and smell if this happens. In the meantime, thank you Mayor Filner; your efforts will restore La Jolla’s confidence and prosperity. We’re a small slice of the San Diego pie, but a very sweet one.
- BREAKING NEWS: Mayor says La Jolla Cove odor fix to be in place by Memorial Day, Seal Cam to remain beyond pupping season
- La Jolla is poised for polishing, Mayor Filner
- Fed up with the La Jolla Cove stench? It’s time to let city officials know!
- Merchants to take stand on Cove stench
- City says no to stench ‘cleanser’ at La Jolla Cove
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=107328