Athenaeum to host tour of La Jolla mural collection
The Athenaeum Music & Arts Library will host a walking tour of the Murals of La Jolla, 6 p.m. Thursday, May 16 leaving from 1008 Wall St. The 11-piece mural collection was started two years ago when Matt Browar, who, as a member of the La Jolla Community Foundation, proposed an art project for the town. He formed an art committee, which included Hugh Davies, Michael Krichman, Mark Quint, Patsy Marino, Mary Beebe, Lynda Forsha and Erika Torri, and has been leading the group as chair.
Forsha took on the role of curator and will host the tour, providing inside information about each piece. The murals include works by Robert Ginder, Ryan McGinness, Ann Hamilton, Fred Tomaselli, Gajin Fujita, Roy McMakin, Richard Allen Morris, Kim MacConnel and others.
The tour will wrap-up with a reception at the Athenaeum. The walk is free. Participants are asked to wear comfortable shoes. Reservations are suggested.
The murals project, according to the Community Foundation, “demonstrates that commissioning artists to create works for public spaces brings energy and vitality to a community.”
For more information, call (858) 454-5872 or visit ljathenaeum.org
- La Jolla Community Foundation ramps up ‘Murals of La Jolla’ with three new installations
- Artist amped by his inclusion in the Murals of La Jolla
- Mural No. 8 Arrives: La Jolla Community Foundation installs another public art piece
- Someplace Special: New County Operations Center is a showplace for public art
- Committee considers nonconformity in La Jolla, questions public art
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=106659