Community lends its love and support to La Jolla Half Marathon
Off to a running start — More than 8,000 athletes participated in the 32nd La Jolla Half Marathon and La Jolla Shores 5K on April 28, 2013.
PHOTO GALLERY: Click on the NEXT> button above to see all 12 photos from the La Jolla Half Marathon.
The La Jolla Kiwanis Foundation’s 32nd La Jolla Half Marathon and La Jolla Shores 5K ran without a hitch on Sunday, April 28, 2013, as many runners had thoughts of the 2013 Boston Marathon runners and bombing victims in mind. La Jolla runner and photographer Greg Wiest said: “At 7:25 a.m. came the National Anthem. Usually there is some activity and chatter during the singing, but after the tragic bombings at the Boston Marathon two weeks ago, everyone was very attentive, many were singing and paying tribute to the victims. The race announcer also had us sing ‘Sweet Caroline,’ Neil Diamond’s 1970s hit that is popular at Boston’s Fenway Park and has been played at every game in the middle of the eighth inning since 2002.”
At the La Jolla event, more than 8,000 athletes participated in the day’s two races, which began at 7:30 a.m. with proceeds going to fund youth, senior and community programs of the La Jolla Kiwanis Foundation. The half marathon course started at the Del Mar Fairgrounds and traveled south along the coastline to finish in La Jolla at La Jolla Cove’s Ellen Browning Scripps Park. The 5K began on La Jolla Shores Drive near Scripps Pier and also ended at the park.
Men’s Division: Top Finishers in the La Jolla Half Marathon
• First Place: Kosuke Amano of San Diego (1:14:59)
• Second Place: Jonathan Hastings of Dublin, Ohio (1:17:49)
• Third Place: Paul Brenneman of San Juan Capistrano (1:18:17)
Women’s Division: Top Finishers in the La Jolla Half Marathon
• First Place: Sierra Walker of Riverside (1:24:52)
• Second Place: Christine Ensign of San Diego (1:25:40)
• Third Place: Theresa Lowry of San Diego (1:28:26).
Full Results: Find a link to complete results at lajollahalfmarathon.com
• See Related Story — An insider’s view of the La Jolla Half Marathon 2013: Marathons have a special way of bringing people together: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=106406
- La Jolla Half Marathon organizers offer update, security measures
- Volunteers, runners sought for La Jolla half-marathon April 28
- Torrey Pines Rotarian completes cross-country bike ride
- Reyes all alone at La Jolla Half Marathon finish line
- La Jolla High mourns loss of coach, moves forward with Friday game
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=106962
Posted by Staff
on May 9, 2013. Filed under Featured Story
, La Jolla
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0
You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.