San Diego’s unique ‘Palette to Palate’ event to combine art, music and food for La Jollans
By Lonnie Burstein Hewitt
Synergy Art Foundation — dedicated to supporting local artists and funding community arts projects and San Diego Visual Arts Network (SDVAN), which maintains a website full of arts resources and facilitates collaborations — are inviting art-, music-, food- and fun-lovers to what they’re calling a spectacular FUNdraiser on April 27, 2013.
The Palette to Palate event will benefit not only its pair of nonprofits, but also Feeding America San Diego, which distributes food to thousands of people in need every week. For the evening, the FASD warehouse will be transformed into a themed party place with extravagant table-settings and menus designed by teams of artists.
The evening begins with a VIP Eat Your Art Out sit-down dinner. La Jolla’s Patti Cooprider, a longtime arts advocate, was one of the first to snag a table for 10. “It’s my birthday and I can’t think of a better way to celebrate,” she said.
The dinner has been sold out for weeks, but the rest of the evening is open to all. From 9 p.m. on, for $15 (advance purchase), everyone is welcome to the Blanks 2 Beauty Bash, which includes desserts, viewing of the artful tables, an exhibition and silent auction of 10-inch works on canvas contributed by more than 120 local artists, a no-host bar, and dancing to the sizzling sounds of Ruby and the Red Hots until midnight.
“SDVAN has been doing annual Eat Your Art Out dinners for years, so artists and patrons can sit down together and really get to talk,” SDVAN coordinator Patricia Frischer said. “Usually, it’s been one table in one house, but this year, which is our 10th anniversary and Synergy’s too; we’re having 10 tables at once!”
Volunteers have been working on art and décor for months and Frischer is contributing an artwork of her own to spruce up FASD’s warehouse after the party is over: a multi-textured sculpture of supersized knives, forks and spoons.
Students from Kimbrough Elementary School, where SDVAN and Synergy provide an after-school art education program, are donating some of their artworks to the warehouse: a trio of colorful food-themed banners.
And then there are all the desserts, which cookbook author Kitty Morse is “curating” from sweet spots like Opéra Patisserie and Oasis Date Farms.
IF YOU GO
• What: Palette to Palate: Blanks 2 Beauty Bash
• When: 9 p.m. to midnight, Saturday, April 27
• Where: Feeding America San Diego, 9455 Waples St., Suite 135, San Diego
• Information: (760) 943-014, email@example.com
• Tickets: $20 at the door, $15 in advance by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or call (858) 472-8401 or visit www.synergyart.org
- San Diego Mayor Bob Filner helps celebrate 2012 Art Prize winners at La Jolla’s Athenaeum Music & Arts Library
- [Exclusive VIDEO] Disney’s ‘Wreck-It Ralph’ and ‘The Simpsons’ Director Rich Moore draws crowds to Spike & Mike’s Festival of Animation in La Jolla
- ‘Lifelike’ exhibit re-imagines reality at Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego in La Jolla
- Art museums in La Jolla and San Diego launch collaborative ‘Behold, America!’
- Big Brothers Big Sisters honors Padres Chairman Ron Fowler as 2012 ‘Person of the Year’ at La Jolla event
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=105554