La Jollans help host 40th San Diego Crew Classic on Mission Bay
Spectators gather near the water’s edge as crews compete in Mission Bay.
Click on the NEXT> button above to see all 13 photos from the San Diego Crew Classic.
Collegiate rowing teams came together April 5-7, 2013 for one of the biggest regattas on the West Coast — the San Diego Crew Classic.
The waters on Mission Bay served as the playing field for some 155 events, which culminated in trophy presentations Sunday afternoon, and the 20th Classic Brunch by the Bay, chaired this year by Jane Fetter of La Jolla and a committee of 21 volunteers.
The men’s open varsity race is for the Copley Cup, named for the family who has been instrumental in sustaining the regatta since 1973. This year’s Copley Cup was won by the UC Berkeley Rowing Team and was presented by Liz Copley in memory of David Copley.
The women’s varsity race is for the Jessop-Whittier Cup, won this year by the USC women’s rowing team. It was presented in memory of Patty Wyatt and Joe Jessop, Sr., co-founders of the San Diego Crew Classic, by members of their families.
- Heart of San Diego gala supports UCSD Sulpizio Cardiovascular Center
- La Jolla High School Foundation hosts Vikings, Vines and Vintners
- La Jolla Cove Swim Club takes a Polar Bear Plunge into the New Year
- 83rd Candlelight Ball benefits Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla
- Las Patronas welcomes new class, reveals 2013 Jewel Ball theme at La Jolla luncheon
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=105061