Best Bets for fun things in La Jolla March 28 through April 5
Trumpet virtuoso Alison Balsom will be joined by the Scottish Ensemble for a concert from La Jolla Music Society, 8 p.m. Saturday, April 6, in Sherwood Auditorium at the Museum of Contemporary Art, 700 Prospect St. Ruben Valenzuela will offer a prelude lecture at 7 p.m. The program will include works by Geminiani, Mendelssohn, Vivaldi and Tchaikovsky. Tickets: $25-$75. (858) 459-3728. ljms.org
Spring Egg Hunt
La Jolla Recreation Center will present its annual afternoon with Peter Rabbit, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, March 30 at 615 Prospect St. Crafts, a goodie bag, and a meet and greet with Peter are available for $3. The egg hunt is free, but bring your own basket and camera! Egg hunt schedule: 10 a.m. for ages 2 and younger; 10:30 a.m. for ages 3-4; 11 a.m. for ages 5-6; 11:30 a.m. for ages 7-9; noon for ages 10 and older. (858) 552-1658.
Castles: Topic of Lecture Series
Art historian James Grebl, Ph.D., will present four richly illustrated talks examining the history, architecture and art of Europe’s most intriguing castles, 7:30 p.m. Thursdays in April at the Athenaeum Music & Arts Library, 1008 Wall St. The military, political and social roles of these complex, dramatic structures will also be explored.
• April 4 – Castles of the British Isles: the Tower of London, founded in 1067 by William the Conqueror; legendary Irish castle of Blarney with its famous stone; and the fairy-tale setting of Scotland’s Glamis Castle, childhood home of the late Queen Mother.
• April 11 – Castles of France: William the Conqueror’s great ruined fortress at Caen and the Palais des Papes at Avignon, some French châteaux in the Île de France and the Loire Valley, including Chambord.
• April 18 – Castles of Germany: Schloss Neuschwanstein, the romantic dream castle built in the 19th century by Bavaria’s eccentric King Ludwig II, the equally stunning 12th century Burg Eltz, the historic Schönburg, and many others.
• April 25 – Castles of Austria: 11th century mountaintop Burg Hohenwerfen near Salzburg (used in the 1968 film “Where Eagles Dare”); the Burg Hochosterwitz, crowning a peak in Carinthia; and the 16th century fortified palace of Schloss Ambras near Innsbruck. Series: $40, $60; Individual: $12, $17. (858) 454-5872. ljathenaeum.org
Designed to Inspire
As a guest of the Dialogues in Art & Architecture series, ecospace founder and west coast art curator Patricia Watts will discuss “Getting Off the Planet,” 7:30 p.m. Thursday, March 28, Athenaeum Music & Arts Library, 1008 Wall St. free. (858) 454-5872. ljathenauem.org
The Gerald Clayton Trio, with Mark Turner on saxophone, will perform 8 p.m. Wednesday, April 3 at the Auditorium at TSRI, 10640 John Jay Hopkins Drive, to kickoff the Athenaeum’s spring jazz series. Tickets: $27-$32. (858) 454-5872. Ljathenaeum.org/jazz
Films About Autism
Two short films exploring the world of families touched by autism “With Me” (by Claudia Metcalfe, Dave Florek and Patrick Scott) and “El Abuelo” (by Stephen Metcalfe and Stephen Crutchfield) will screen 6 p.m. Wednesday, April 3 and noon on Saturday, April 13 at Riford Library, 7555 Draper Ave. Free. (858) 552-1657. lajollalibrary.org
Book Club Meets
The Riford Library will host a discussion about Australian author Markus Zusak’s “The Book Thief,” 1:30 p.m. Wednesday, April 10. Barnes & Noble reports:“Set during World War II in Germany, this is the story of Liesel Meminger, a foster girl living outside of Munich. Liesel scratches out a meager existence for herself by stealing when she encounters something she can’t resist – books. With the help of her accordion-playing foster father, she learns to read and shares her stolen books with her neighbors during bombing raids, as well as with the Jewish man hidden in her basement before he is marched to Dachau. This is an unforgettable story about the ability of books to feed the soul.” 7555 Draper Ave. (858) 552-1657. lajollalibrary.org
- Best Bets for fun things to do in and around La Jolla, Jan. 24-31
- Best Bets for things to do in and around La Jolla, Oct. 14-22
- Best Bets for things to do in and around La Jolla, Sept. 22-29
- Best Bets for interesting things to do in and around La Jolla, June 16-23
- La Jolla’s BEST BETS for events the week of Jan. 27-Feb. 4
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=104429