Border Patrol agents detain two in connection with abandoned boat found at Black’s Beach in La Jolla
Authorities were investigating an abandoned panga boat discovered at Black’s Beach around 7 a.m. Monday morning, just below Torrey Pines Glider Port.
Two Mexican nationals, a man and woman in their early 30s and believed to have been aboard, were apprehended on the cliffs above Black’s later Monday morning. Officials believe the boat beached at around 5 a.m., San Diego Lifeguard Lt. Andy Lerum said.
Lerum said Border Patrol and Coast Guard officials investigating the craft believe there may have been as many as a dozen people aboard, though no other passengers have yet been located.
Board Patrol impounded the boat, which they believe came from Mexico and was used for smuggling people or drugs.
U.S. Border Patrol spokesperson Gerardo Gutierrez said the suspects had been taken into custody and will be sent back to Mexico. Additional information is pending in the ongoing investigation, he said.
- La Jolla resident shot during home invasion
- Lightner announces lifeguards restored at Black’s Beach
- La Jolla Country Market burglarized, safe stolen
- Four arrested in home invasion robbery at La Jolla home of Jeanne Jones
- Vehicle break-ins at La Jolla Shores condo complex upset resident
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=103376