La Jolla Sunrise Rotary, Cove Swim Club brave chilly waters to fight polio at Swimarathon
Swimmers head into the chilly waters at La Jolla Cove.
Click on the NEXT> button above to see all 8 photos from La Jolla Sunrise Rotary’s Swimarathon.
By Greg Wiest
Barbara Held and Steve Cross of La Jolla Sunrise Rotary coordinated the 2013 Rotary Swimarathon on Feb. 23, 2013 at La Jolla Cove, linking their 52 participants with more than 15,000 swimmers from 250 Rotary Clubs worldwide — all to raise funds and awareness for the fight against polio.
Last year, La Jolla Sunrise Rotary organized the only ocean swim in the world, earning it a mention in the Guinness Book of Records.
As swimmers exited the chilly ocean waters, Rotary volunteers provided them with hot drinks, fruit, pastries and the most popular item — steaming hot towels. Members of La Jolla Cove Swim Club and the La Jolla Coves Dawn Patrol both entered teams of swimmers.
Funds raised at the event (and through March 15, 2013) will go to fight polio worldwide. Checks can be made payable to: “La Jolla Sunrise Foundation for Polio Plus” and mailed to:
PO Box 8625
La Jolla, CA 92038
- La Jolla Cove Swim Club takes a Polar Bear Plunge into the New Year
- Former La Jolla Youth Baseball League star gives back to his community through Eagle Scout project
- Premium wines gathered for upcoming Bishop’s School auction, gala in La Jolla
- Students from La Jolla’s four high schools shine in talent show to raise cash for scholarships
- California Surf Museum stoked over new Hansen retrospective
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=103179