Ready to Spring Forward Safely? San Diego Fire Department offers safety tips
- From San Diego Fire and Rescue Chief Sam DiGiovanna
Ready to Spring Forward Safely?
Sunday, March 10th marks the beginning of Daylight Saving time. Setting the clock forward means it’s time not to just check the clock, but for a spring clean safety check! As make your “hot lap” around the home, setting clocks ahead why not take a little extra time for a short safety checklist says Fire Chief Sam DiGiovanna.
Help spring your home into being safe and organized by:
- Change the clocks, change the batteries: We do ask you to do this in the fall, however you may check again. Smoke detectors and carbon monoxide definitely detectors save lives. Firefighters recommend replacing smoke and carbon monoxide detector batteries twice a year, so Spring Forward Sunday with fresh batteries all around.
- Helpful hint: While they’re likely not fully charged, replaced batteries can still do duty in toys, media players or electronic devices. Get the last drop of juice out of them before you recycle!
How’s that home fire extinguisher hanging? Has it gone past the expiration date? Let’s check!
Here’s a bright idea! Since you’ll have you’ll have that stepladder out checking smoke detector batteries and clocks, double up on safety by checking for light bulbs and fixtures. Have you considered replacing conventional bulbs with energy-efficient compact fluorescent or LCD bulbs? Rumor has it, replacing standard bulbs with energy-efficient ones saves money!
Check the first-aid kit. It’s a good time to check your first aid kit against and replace or upgrade any missing supplies.
Fail to plan, plan to fail! This is a good time to review your family emergency plan. If an emergency strikes, will your family know what to do?
Review your family’s emergency plan, or create one for the first time. Hold a meeting with family members to explain what to do and where to go in case of an emergency.
Update phone numbers, addresses and contact information, and post an emergency information page near the phone.
Here’s one area you can get some “Spring at Home” Safety Tips; http://www.safetyathome.com/home-safety/
Your local fire department will be glad to help you with any of the above!
- La Jolla Cove Suites to be featured in Travel Channel special tonight
- Art Nest hatches a new gallery in La Jolla
- Community Calendar Nov. 29 – Dec. 6
- Nov. 15 – Nov. 22 Community Calendar
- Break dancing sensation comes to La Jolla as part of yoga class
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=102605