La Jollans crowd Whaling Bar at La Valencia Hotel for farewell to historic bar
A grand jewel of La Jolla took a final bow and ended its celebrated run amid much love and applause Feb. 14, 2013, when guests crowded the Whaling Bar at La Valencia Hotel for one last hurrah!
The cocktail lounge where everyone from actor Gregory Peck to novelist Raymond Chandler and author Theodor Geisel (Dr. Seuss) once held court, closed for extensive renovations that will include removal of the wall dividing the bar and adjacent Café La Rue. The “new” space at 1132 Prospect St. in La Jolla will re-open in May 2013 as an expanded Café La Rue with a central, U-shaped bar.
The original artwork of Wing Howard will be relocated within the hotel.
— Susan DeMaggio
• See related story:
La Valencia bids La Jolla’s iconic Whaling Bar adieu Feb. 14
- La Valencia bids La Jolla’s iconic Whaling Bar adieu Feb. 14
- En Garde! Bet your buns there’s a burger war going on … in La Jolla
- New restaurant Ohana Café bids ‘Aloha!’ to La Jolla
- NINE-TEN Restaurant to offer special Thanksgiving Day menu in La Jolla
- La Jolla’s iconic ‘Whaling Bar’ at La Valencia Hotel to close, re-open as expanded Café La Rue
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=102108