Rotary Club of La Jolla announces speech contest winners
The Rotary Club of La Jolla held its annual “4-Way Test Speech Contest” on Jan. 29. Four La Jolla High School students incorporated Rotary’s 4-way test ethical standard into a five-minute speech with a topic of their choosing. At the club’s lunch meeting, Rotary club members heard all of the speeches and then selected the winning speech. Senior Freja Ekman received a cash award of $200 for her winning oration. The runner-up speakers, Brittany Black, Jack Frager and Clayton Halbert each received a $100 award. Ekman will continue into the divisional Rotary speech contest and, potentially, to the finals in April where the first prize is college scholarship funds.
The Rotary 4-Way Test asks students, “of the things we think, say or do: Is it the truth? Is it fair to all concerned? Will it build goodwill and better friendships? and Will it be beneficial to all concerned?
- Young Rotarians build 17th home
- Students reach out to San Diego families in need for “Operation Santa”
- Philanthropy 101: La Jolla Country Day School embraces new program for future philanthropists
- La Jolla High sophomore finds outlet to satisfy her need for speed
- Summer internships hold life lessons
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=102051