The Patio on Lamont Street’s Braised Berkshire Pork Oso Bucco with Asiago and Bacon Risotto
• 1 pork shank, 1.5 pounds raw weight
• 1 large carrot, peeled
• 2 stalks of celery
• 1 medium white onion
• 1/8 cup unsalted butter
• 1 cup Arborio rice
• 1 cup white wine
• 1 1/2 cups water
• 1/2 cup Asiago cheese
• 2 pieces cooked and chopped bacon with fat
• 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
• 1 Tablespoon fine herbs (thyme – rosemary – Italian parsley), chopped
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Begin by coating the pork with a canola – olive oil blend and seasoning liberally with kosher salt and fresh cracked black pepper.
Heat a medium, non-teflon saucepan and sear pork on all sides until carmelized. Add mirepoix vegetables (carrot, celery and white onion) rough chopped.
Cover with water and wrap pan first with plastic wrap and then with foil.
Place in preheated oven for 2 1/2 hours or until the top of the bone is exposed and meat is fork-tender.
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and then add rice until all grains are coated. Keep stirring and DO NOT ALLOW ANY COLOR to develop.
Add wine and continue to stir until almost evaporated.
Add water to cover rice and continue to stir until almost evaporated. Add remaining water and repeat the process. Once most of the liquid is evaporated, test rice to see if AL DENTE (should stick in your back teeth but not be crunchy).
Add bacon, cheese and cream and remove from heat.
Strain, reduce and season the braising liquid and serve over top of the pork.
- Girard Gourmet’s Eggplant Stuffed with Spinach and Cheese
- On the Menu Recipe: Crab Catcher’s Cioppino
- Silver Fox Milkshake from Harry’s of La Jolla
- On the Menu Recipe: Poseidon’s Halibut Tapenade
- Corned Beef Hash ala Hennessey’s
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=101730