Las Patronas awards grantee checks at annual Beneficiaries Luncheon in La Jolla
Las Patronas President Pat Marsch and Spirit of Giving Award recipient Coach Dave Ponsford.
By Ashley Mackin
Las Patronas held its annual Beneficiary Luncheon Jan. 23, 2013 at the La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club to present funds raised from the 2012 Jewel Ball to seven organizations whose needs won Las Patronas’ hearts.
Last year’s ball, themed “Passeggiata!” netted $765,000. The proceeds were granted out in approximately $40,000 increments. Representatives from each non-profit honored were present to
accept the money and explain how it would be used.
“The organizations receiving funds were chosen from a pool of extremely qualified applicants,” said Pat Marsch, Las Patronas president. “Their grant applications were carefully screened on the basis of reach and impact within our community and the strength of the mission.”
• The Alpha Project: A flatbed truck for work programs that help transition homeless and high-risk people back into the workforce
• The American Red Cross: A touch-table system that allows emergency responders to coordinate with other agencies using real-time data
• Greater San Diego After-School All Stars: A SUV to transport children from low-income families who participate in its after-school programs
• La Jolla Historical Society: A new ADA-accessible elevator for Wisteria Cottage
• Reuben H. Fleet Science Center: A hybrid SUV for outreach programs to local schools
• Senior Community Center: A meal delivery van to serve homebound seniors
• Zoological Society of San Diego: A SUV to transport animal ambassadors to hospitals and convalescent centers as a part of the Express Animal Therapy Outreach Program.
Outgoing Jewel Ball Chair Elaine Murphy and co-chairs Erin Wyer and Cathy Carroll, handed out the checks.
“Thank you so much for … what you do to make San Diego the wonderful place it is to live and thrive,” Murphy told the grantees.
For more information, visit laspatronas.org
- Las Patronas welcomes new class, reveals 2013 Jewel Ball theme at La Jolla luncheon
- 83rd Candlelight Ball benefits Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla
- St. Germaine Silver Tea in La Jolla raises funds to aid child protection services
- Sanford-Burnham Institute holds ‘Marching Towards a Cure’ gala in La Jolla
- La Jolla Symphony & Chorus gala opens season with salute to Paris
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=101455