Best Bets for fun things to do in and around La Jolla Feb. 7-15, 2013
Ballet de Deux
• Russian National Ballet Theatre offers Tchaikovsky’s ‘Romeo and Juliet,’ 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 13 and Prokofiev’s ‘Cinderella,’ 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 14 at Copley Symphony Hall. Tickets: From $20. (619) 235-0804. Sandiegosymphony.com
• San Diego Ballet Company stages ‘Don Juan,’ choreographed by Javier Velasco, 8 p.m. Feb. 14 and 16, and 2 p.m. Feb. 17, at Lyceum Theatre, Horton Plaza. Tickets: From $35. (619) 544-1000 www.sandiegoballet.org
Love is in the Air at Art Exhibition
La Jolla Art Association celebrates l’amour with ‘La Vie en Rose,’ an exhibition of paintings, drawings, sculptures, photography, jewelry and silk art, 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Feb. 12-24, at its galleries, 8100 Paseo del Ocaso. A reception and poetry reading is set for 4-6 p.m. Sunday, Feb.17. RSVP: (858) 459-1196.
Let the Music Play – Six concerts
•The La Jolla Symphony & Chorus offers the three-work program, ‘Inside/Outside,” with guest soprano Jessica Aszodi, and conductor Steven Schick, 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Feb. 9 and 2 p.m. Feb. 10 at Mandeville Auditorium, UCSD campus. Tickets: $15-$29. (858) 534-4637. http://www.lajollasymphony.com
• Mary James, winner of the 2010 Inspirational Female Vocalist of the Year Award and a 2011 nominee for ICM Entertainer of the Year, guest stars at La Jolla Presbyterian Church’s 2013 concert series, 4 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 10 at 7715 Draper Ave. Freewill offering. (858) 729-5531. ljpresmusic.com
• The six-voice a cappella ensemble, Nordic Voices, makes its Sol Cal debut 4 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 10 at St. James by-the-Sea, 743 Prospect St. Tickets: $25. (858) 459-3421. sjbts.org
• Emerson String Quartet performs with cellist David Finckel, 8 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 10, Prebys Concert Hall, UCSD campus. Tickets: $11-66. (858) 534-8497. firstname.lastname@example.org
• Parker Quartet, 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 12, Athenaeum Library, 1008 Wall St. Tickets: $40-$45 www.ljathenaeum.org/chamberconcerts (858) 454-5872.
• La Jolla Music Society presents the BBC Concert Orchestra under the direction of Keith Lockhart, 8 p.m. Friday, Feb. 15 at Copley Symphony Hall, 750 B St. Joined by cellist Sophie Shao, the orchestra will perform works by Britten, Elgar and Butterworth. In a free, 7 p.m. pre-concert lecture, UCSD professor Shanon Zusman will explore, ‘What makes English music English?’ Tickets: $27-$97. (858) 459-3728 LJMS.org.
What’s Up with Whales? lecture
Southwest Fisheries Science Center marine biologist Aimee Lang will discuss, ‘Genetics and Gray Whale Behavior,’ 6:30-8 p.m. Monday, Feb. 11 as part of the Jeffrey B. Graham Perspectives on Ocean Science Lecture Series, Birch Aquarium, 2300 Expedition Way. Tickets $5-$8. (858) 534-5771. http://aquarium.ucsd.edu
- La Jolla’s Best Bets for fun things to do in and around town, week of April 21-28
- Best Bets for interesting things to do in and around La Jolla, April 14-23
- Best Bets for fun things to do in and around La Jolla, March 15-March 25
- Here are the weekend Best Bets picks for fun in and around La Jolla, May 12-19
- Best Bets for fun things to do in and around La Jolla, the week of May 6-May13
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=101517