City tells La Jolla Shores Association lifeguard tower is almost finished
By Ashley Mackin
The La Jolla Shores Association (LJSA) held its monthly meeting Jan. 9 to discuss upcoming board elections, as well as changing its meeting time, its new divers committee, the lifeguard tower and more.
District 1 announcements
Erin Demorest, representative for District 1 Councilmember Sherri Lightner, reported that there will be several openings on city boards and commissions at the end of January, including the La Jolla Shores Planned District Advisory Board (LJSPDAB).
For the LJSPDAB, which is different from the Shores Permit Review Committee, members are appointed through the mayor’s office. The only requirement is that members live within the boundaries of the Shores Planned District. Those with questions may contact Lightner’s office at (619) 236-6611 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
• Demorest said the Shores lifeguard tower, located near the intersection of Camino Del Oro and Calle Frescota, is in “the
home stretch.” The contractor is changing the glass so lifeguards can see the boardwalk better.
“As soon as (the glass) is finished, that’s really the last thing that needs to be done with the tower,” she said.
• Demorest also updated the board on the request for outdoor showers at the beach near La Jolla Shores. She said Lightner’s office is working with city park planners, who said it might be possible to install the showers, but that would require an investigation of the sewer system where the showers would drain. Sand traps would also need to be installed to determine if a cover to the showers would be needed. Lightner’s office is looking into the various requirements and cost, with more information to come.
Applications are due Feb. 13 for at least four, two-year-term seats on the La Jolla Shores Association Board. Applicants must be a business owner or resident within the perimeters of the Shores.
Coco Tihanyi, Audrey Keane, Terry Winn-Kraszewski and Ruth Padgett are terming out, and Dolores Donovan and Mary Coakley-Munk must re-run to keep their positions. The remaining board members’ terms have not ended.
The election committee — Janie Emerson, Brandon Price and Winn-Kraszewski — will prepare a list of candidates for the ballot. The election is in March. Those interested in joining the board may e-mail email@example.com
Temporary meeting time
It was decided that the LJSA will move its meeting time to 6:30 p.m. in the winter months and back to 7 p.m. in March when Daylight Saving Time returns. The LJSA meets on the second Wednesday of the month at the Scripps Institute of Oceanography, building T-29, located at 8840 Biological Grade.
The Unregulated Commercial Use Committee of Divers, established with the hope of creating a fair and consistent permit procedure, has officially formed and drafted a code of conduct. “(We) appreciate the proactive steps you’ve taken to put that together,” Keane told the members.
Coakley-Munk said the crux of the issue the committee hopes to resolve is, “How do you balance the already regulated commercial activities with the unregulated? And what do you do that’s most beneficial to the businesses as well as the park and the community?”
The committee consists of Scott Anderson, president San Diego Council of Divers; Jeff Nadler, industry and governmental relations executive, Professional Association of Diving Intructors Americas; Michael Timm of Dive California, representing dive shop owners; Alan Blake of Al’s Diving, representing Independent Dive Instructors; and Robert Brauer of San Diego Divers as an alternate.
Representing LJSA on the committee is Coco Tihanyi, Mary Coakley-Munk, Brandon Price and Janie Emerson.
On the web: LJSA.org
- City promises to begin building lifeguard tower at La Jolla Children’s Pool in June
- People to Watch: 19 of La Jolla’s leaders share their goals for 2013
- 2012: A Year Like No Other in La Jolla
- La Jolla’s Town Council, Planning Association discuss pending issues
- City Council approves ordinance to better address neighborhood blight
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=100747