La Jolla youth lacrosse league to hold tryouts Feb. 2
By Lisa Bonebrake
Lacrosse is one of the fastest-growing sports in the United States, which seems to be reflected in our own community. In 2012, the La Jolla Lacrosse Club saw its numbers grow from 80 to more than 140 elementary and middle school players (grades 1-8).
“We hope to see even more boys from around the area come try out this year and learn about this tremendously fast and fun sport,” said Katherine Walsh, president of La Jolla Lacrosse, who has three sons playing for the club. “Our experience is that kids who play other sports can excel quickly at lacrosse.”
Board member Scot Steinwinder added, “La Jolla Lacrosse has been a great experience for my sons. What other sport requires the physicality of football, the eye-hand coordination of baseball, field awareness of soccer, and the speed and footwork of basketball? It is definitely the sport that all-around athletes enjoy playing.”
The season runs February-June and coaching is by players from the college level and major league lacrosse. New players are welcome and will be assigned to teams according to their skill and grade levels, as spots are available.
Registration for Saturday, Feb. 2, 2013 tryouts is required by Jan. 31 at lajollalacrosse.com
The tryout schedule Feb. 2 at La Jolla High School Field, 750 Nautilus St. is 10-11:30 a.m. Grades 1-4; noon to 1:30 p.m. Grades 5-6; 2- 3:30 p.m. grades 7-8. Tryouts are free and required for team placement. If placed on a team, cost of player participation for the 2013 season (practices and games) is $225 for grades 1-4 and $395 for grades 5-8.
Required equipment includes a lacrosse stick, helmet, gloves, arm pads, shoulder pad, cleats, protective cup and mouthpiece.
Youth Lacrosse Tryouts
• Registration Deadline: Jan. 31, 2013 for the Feb. 2 tryouts
• Register online: lajollalacrosse.com
• E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Football: La Jolla Country Day loses CIF quarterfinals to Horizon Panthers, 40-24
- Water Polo CIF Finals: Cathedral Catholic High takes down La Jolla’s The Bishop’s School to win title in overtime
- Water Polo: La Jolla’s The Bishop’s School and Cathedral Catholic High earn berths in CIF boys’ final
- La Jolla Youth Rugby registration for new sports program is underway
- La Jolla Youth Baseball opens registration for 2013 season
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=100411