Seasons 52′s Chicken Skewers
CIDER-GLAZED CHICKEN SKEWERS
With Grilled Apples & Fuji Apple Slaw
12 chicken tenderloins
12 Bamboo skewers
2 oz soy sauce
2 oz Dijon mustard
¾ cup cider glaze
1 cup apple slaw
4-8 grilled apple rings (as desired)
½ cup rehydrated dried cranberries*
½ cup toasted pumpkin seeds*
Salt and pepper to taste
- Marinate chicken tenderloins in Dijon mustard and soy sauce.
- Assemble marinated chicken on bamboo skewers prior to grilling. Season and grill chicken over hot, clean coals (do not burn the sticks). Caramelize evenly on both sides. Baste chicken generously with cider glaze while grilling.
- Arrange chicken skewers creatively with Fuji apple slaw and grilled apple rings. Garnish with a sprinkle of cranberries and toasted pumpkin seeds. Drizzle cider glaze over the top.
*To reconstitute cranberries, place ½ cup of cranberries in a cup of water, cover and microwave one minute.
*For pumpkin seeds, spice them up by rubbing with green Tabasco and Old Bay spice before toasting.
FUJI APPLE SLAW
¾ cup rice vinegar
¾ cup agave nectar
4 tablespoons whole grain mustard
2 cups julienned cabbage
½ cup julienned celery root
½ cup julienned jicama
½ cup julienned Fuji apples
¼ cup rehydrated dried cranberries
½ cup rough chopped mint
- Place rice vinegar, agave and mustard in sauce pan and bring to a boil. Place cabbage and celery root in a shallow glass dish and pour hot sauce over, making sure to mix well. Cover and let sit 10 minutes at room temperature. Add remaining ingredients, except mint, and toss to mix well. Once mixture is cool, add mint, and keep covered until ready to serve.
½ cup rice vinegar
2 cups apple cider
1 quart chicken broth stock (organic, all natural)
1 tablespoon (?) tamari or soy sauce
1 tablespoon (?) minced shallots
1 tablespoon (?) minced ginger
2 tablespoons cornstarch
4 tablespoons water
- Place liquids (except water) and shallots in a non-reactive sauce pot and bring to boil. Add ginger and continue cooking until mixture reduces in volume by half. Mix water and cornstarch together and add to pot. Bring to a boil, remove from heat, and allow mixture to cool. Reserve until needed.
3 apples (any variety in season that you prefer)
Extra virgin olive oil in spritz bottle
- Wash and core apples and slice 3/8” to ½” thick. Discard end cuts. Lay slices flat on tray and spritz each slice with one spritz of olive oil on each side.
- Wipe grill very clean. Grill over hot coals, not direct flame; rotate the slices ¼ turn halfway through cook time. Allow natural sugars to caramelize. Flip slices over and cook; rotate a few times ¼ turn halfway to caramelize. Remove from grill and use warm or hold until ready to serve.
- Caroline’s Awesome Pancake Recipe
- Museum Cafe’s Mexican Shrimp & Grilled Papaya Salad
- Jimmy O’s Award-Winning Chili
- On the Menu recipe: Rock Bottom’s Laredo Burger
- On The Menu Recipe: Brick & Bell Café’s Croutons
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=99036