Francis Parker alumni toast school’s 100th year at La Jolla gathering
Assistant athletic director/volleyball coach Chris McGrath and Jane McGrath
Some 800 members of the Francis Parker School community gathered at a Centennial Celebration on its Linda Vista campus in San Diego on Oct. 20, 2012. They then broke into groups and attended 21 hosted dinner parties around the county. The largest was held poolside at the La Jolla home of Jane and Thompson Fetter.
Jane Trevor Fetter attended Parker in 1950 and is a member of its board of trustees. Her grandchildren, Marly and Megan Isler, also attended Francis Parker. They are daughters of Fetter’s daughter, JJ.
The dinners were themed and the Fetter’s had a focus on Parker athletics. Four Parker parents are Olympians:
• Lynn Silliman Reed was on hand with her husband, Steve. She was the coxswain of the Women’s 8 and won a Bronze Medal in the 1976 Olympics. Lynn and Steve have a daughter at Parker.
• JJ Fetter (who missed the party due to skippering an all-female boat in the Leukemia Cup in San Francisco against an all-male boat skippered by Ted Turner) was a Bronze Medal winner in Women’s 470 sailing in 1992, and a Silver Medal winner in Women’s 470 sailing in 2000.
• Steve Salmons was a Gold Medal winner in 1984 in volleyball. He and his wife, Cathy, have three children at Parker.
• Joaquim Cruz won a Gold in the men’s 800m in 1984 and a Silver in 1988. He coaches Olympians and coached the first female Saudi Arabian allowed to compete in the Olympics at the 2012 games in London. He and his wife, Mary, have a son at Parker.
- The Principal’s Office: Meet Jill Platt. Coffee, prayer and love of students fuels All Hallows Academy principal in La Jolla
- All Hallows Academy hosts Family Fun Night ‘on-the-range’ in La Jolla
- The Principal’s Office: Meet Alison Fleming. Powered by hugs, the head of La Jolla’s The Gillispie School strives to lead by example
- La Jolla Country Day football marks homecoming by defeating The Bishop’s School, 51-34
- Art & Wine Festival raises $100,000 for La Jolla schools
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=98198