La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club readies for National Over 40 Hard Court Championships
By Michael Ragovin
The La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club will host the 40th annual United States Tennis Association (USTA) National Over 40 Hard Court Tennis Championships, Nov. 26-Dec. 2, 2012 starting off with singles and doubles on Nov. 26.
Tennis spectators are welcome to view the tournament. Admission is free. All matches will be the best two of three sets. The Coman 12-point Tiebreaker will be used at 6-6 throughout the tournament.
Father-and-son and grandfather-and-grandson doubles begin Nov. 30. The father and son event has been played at the Beach and Tennis Club since 1959. The grandfather and grandson championship is relatively new.
Other categories include men’s and women’s singles, and mixed doubles. The top three entrants in each category will win a cash prize.
The popularity of this tournament has attracted former touring pros as well as several very highly ranked southern California players. Several local tennis enthusiasts, mostly from La Jolla, will also be playing in the championships, including: Addison Appleby, John Appleby, Jawad Busharat, Bret Buffington, Jami Jones (of Del Mar), William Kellog, Edward Rosen and Ryan Rosen.
“We are expecting another strong tournament field this year,” said Conan Lorenzo, tennis director at the club. “With players coming in from all across the country, this event offers a great opportunity for entrants to play against great competition.”
All tournament play will take place on 14 championship courts at the Beach and Tennis Club, which is one of the top 50 tennis resorts in the country, and established in 1942. The fourth-generation family owned and operated resort is a landmark in the La Jolla community. It was built on four beautifully manicured acres. The grounds include an 18-hole par three golf course, two swimming pools, four restaurants, one of which is the historic Marine Room, and a 128-room hotel located a stones throw from the waves with panoramic views of the ocean.
• Up next: La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club will host the 124th edition of The Pacific Coast Mens’ Doubles Championships in March 2013, and the USTA National Hard Court Championships for Womens’ 50-90 age groups in May 2013.
Have a sports-news tip? E-mail scores, stats or community-sports news to: email@example.com or call (858) 875-5950.
- Veterans Day brings out golfers from La Jolla and San Diego to benefit Wounded Warrior Project
- Youth Rugby League is coming to La Jolla for players, ages 7-14
- Sakura Judo Jiu Jitsu in Pacific Beach (near La Jolla) is gateway training for all sports
- 5,000 expected at La Jolla Cove for Challenged Athletes Foundation’s San Diego Triathlon Challenge
- Knights soak Vikings in boys water polo at La Jolla cross-town rivalry match
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=97647