Natural High gala makes a big Sunset Splash with ‘Soul Surfer’ Bethany Hamilton in La Jolla
Chuck Schindler, principal at Rancho Buena Vista High School; RBV students Eric Barrios and Samuel Moore receive Youth Leadership Awards; Shannon Garcia, a RBV assistant principal, receives the Local Educator of the Year Award; and Devin Vodicka, superintendent at Vista Unified School District.
The 12th annual Sunset Splash gala to benefit Natural High/Sundt Foundation was held Oct. 6 at Hilton La Jolla Torrey Pines. Following a reception, auction and dinner, the program honored pro surfer Bethany Hamilton, author of “Soul Surfer,” and star of “Natural High 6.” Hamilton is known for surviving a shark attack in which she lost her left arm, but made a return to professional surfing. She wrote about her experience in the 2004 autobiography “Soul Surfer: A True Story of Faith, Family, and Fighting to Get Back on the Board,” which was the basis for a 2011 feature film.
Other awards presented include:
• Youth Leadership Awards to Rancho Buena Vista High students Eric Barrios and Samuel Moore.
• Local Educator of the Year Award to Shannon Garcia, a Rancho Buena Vista High assistant principal.
• Teacher of the Year Award to Justin Prati from Pleasant View Middle School in Columbus, Ohio.
To learn more about Natural High’s efforts and cultural movement to give youth beneficial alternatives to drugs and alcohol, visit www.naturalhigh.org
- Chimpanzees advocate Jane Goodall presides over benefit in La Jolla
- Starry, Starry Night gala marks 10th year advocating for kids; event attracts attendees from La Jolla, Rancho Santa Fe, Del Mar and San Diego region
- Taste at the Cove salutes Olympians and athletic trainer at La Jolla event with sports celebrities
- Newcomers celebrate the season mindful of children in need
- Roses and candlelight combine for hospital’s gala
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=96362