Dick Davis honored for community service
Richard Davis of La Jolla was honored with an award for excellence in community service from the Japanese Friendship Garden Society of San Diego at its 13th annual August Moon Gala on Aug. 16.
Davis was recognized for his accomplishments as executive director of the San Diego-based Kyoto Symposium Organization (KSO). Since 2004, Davis has directed KSO’s annual program of free public lectures by the recipients of the Kyoto Prizes for global achievement, and a benefit gala that helps fund Kyoto Prize scholarships for students in the San Diego-Tijuana region.
In accepting the award, Davis thanked his wife, Jan, who teaches Asian studies at Cathedral Catholic High School, for “furthering my understanding of Asian studies and Japan-U.S. relations.”
This year’s Kyoto Symposium will begin with the Kyoto Prize Symposium Gala on March 12 and will include lectures at San Diego State University, UC San Diego, and the University of San Diego by the new Kyoto Laureates computer scientist Ivan Sutherland, molecular cell biologist Yoshinori Ohsumi, and literary critic and educator Gayatri Spivak.
- La Jolla realtor needs help to bring aid to Kenya
- Sign Up Time: Local groups in need of volunteers state their cases
- Switchfoot’s Bro-Am weekend, June 17-19, will raise funds (and fun) for at-risk kids
- Evening with Dave Dravecky on Dec. 4 at UCSD
- ‘Magic’ evening to raise funds for brain research
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=94097