La Jolla postman to be remembered at tree planting on Friday
A Palo Verde tree will be planted in memory of longtime WindanSea mail carrier Steve P. Mediano, who died at his home of a heart attack on July 6. He was 52 years old.
Mediano will be remembered at the public tree planting, Friday, July 20 at 3:30 p.m. at the La Jolla Carrier Annex Post Office at 720 Silver St.
The tree will be placed in the cactus garden Mediano planted there last year, for which he received a “Kudos” from the La Jolla Light.
The garden replaced an overgrown patch of weeds with cacti that Mediano traveled around the region to procure. The garden was planted in memory of another former letter carrier, Dave Bolin, who died several years ago.
Fellow La Jolla mail carrier Dominique urrutia remembered Mediano, who once volunteered as a track coach at La Jolla High and The Bishop’s School, as a “very good, friendly man” who “spoke to everybody,” and always maintained a positive attitude.
Mediano is survived by his parents, who will speak during the ceremony. Tara Tarrant of La Jolla Stone Etching is donating a memorial stone on Mediano’s behalf, which will be placed in the cactus garden.
- National Security expert to speak at UC San Diego’s Herb York Memorial Lecture July 18 in La Jolla
- La Jolla Music store scores new owner, new address
- It’s like Alphabet Soup! 12 La Jolla organizations (and acronyms) direct community life
- Film screening at Jewish Community Center in La Jolla will raise funds for victims of violence
- La Jolla Historical Society says, Thank you to sculptor Ruth Hayward
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=91308