La Jolla Country Day’s Ayala inks deal with Chicago White Sox
Sam Ayala, a 2012 graduate of La Jolla Country Day High School, has taken the leap into professional baseball.
Torrey athletic director Jeff Hutzler said Monday that Ayala had signed with the Chicago White Sox and had already reported to their minor league operation.
Ayala had been scheduled to attend the University of California, Santa Barbara, but the White Sox sweetened their offer and guaranteed Ayala’s eventual college education if he signed with the team now.
Hutzler had talked with Ayala on Monday and said he had flown into Bristol, Va., the location of the White Sox rookie team, took his physical and was in uniform by the second inning of that day’s game.
Hutzler said as part of his contract, the White Sox will pay for Ayala’s college education if he ever decides to attend school in the future.
- Country Day’s Sanchez has solid showing at U.S. Open
- La Jolla Country Day grad Rashaan Salaam tops list of 50 best San Diego football players
- Country Day boys, Bishop’s girls advance in state basketball tournament
- La Jolla schools produce plethora of water polo talent
- Chargers make more roster moves
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=90732