UC San Diego welcomes community to Triton Day experience
By Marye Anne Fox
Where can you check out the latest sustainable vehicles, get your blood pressure screened, witness cutting-edge research, learn about college planning and listen to live music, all in one place, at one time? The answer is UC San Diego. The university will host a special “Triton Day Experience” for campus and community members from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on Saturday, April 7. The event is free and open to the public. The day’s activities will offer campus visitors an enhanced opportunity to discover all that UC San Diego has to offer, including world-class education, translational research and advanced patient care.
With nearly 30,000 students, 133 majors, a billion-dollar research enterprise, and world-renowned faculty who are at the forefront of their fields – from science and technology, to social science and the humanities, to medicine and business – UC San Diego is an educational and research powerhouse. Our academic programs, undergraduate colleges and innovative studies will be on display during the Triton Day Experience through hands-on demonstrations and exploring fairs. Participants will also have an opportunity to interact with leading UC San Diego professors and undergraduate and graduate students as they demonstrate some of their cutting-edge research, technology and world-changing projects. Other activities include a sustainability showcase and car show, which will highlight the latest green industrial and consumer vehicles.
Families can also register for our Charting the Course college planning and information sessions that will help students and their parents learn more about how to plan for, get into and pay for college. We’ll also have student-guided campus tours departing every 30 minutes, and various stages with live music, singing, dancing and demonstrations.
Triton Day Experience is about learning and living the UC San Diego adventure, and what it means to be a Triton. I encourage you to come to the campus, and bring your friends and family members, especially elementary, middle and high school students. It’s never too early to motivate and inspire young minds. http://tritonday.ucsd.edu/experience
From UCSD Reports
UC San Diego’s Admit Day and Open House will come together from 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Saturday, April 7 at the Triton Day Experience, a showcase of the university’s campus community. The free event, open to the UCSD community and the public, will provide opportunities to meet professors, talk to student leaders, explore the campus and enjoy all-day entertainment.
Free parking will be available and free shuttles will be provided from designated parking areas to the center of campus.
• Charting the Course College Planning Session: 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. for middle school, high school and community college students and their families to find out how to plan for, get into and pay for college. Faculty Club. Seating is limited. Call (858) 534-6862 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to register.
• Meet the Minds Academic Fair: Interact with UC San Diego professors and undergraduate and graduate students as they demonstrate some of their cutting-edge research, technology and world-changing projects. Lyman Avenue and Rupertus Way.
• Car Show and Sustainability Showcase: See the latest in industrial and consumer vehicles: UC San Diego’s fleet of sustainable vehicles, new technology and research for consumer vehicles on and off the road. UCSD Faculty Club parking lot.
• Health Fair: Learn about UC San Diego Clinical Health Services, Sports Medicine, Physical/Occupational Therapy and more. Library Walk north.
• Student-Guided Campus Tours: Every 30 minutes; last tour departs at 3 p.m. from Rupertus Way, across from Center Hall.
• Triton Experience Entertainment Stages: Music, dancing, singing and demonstrations at Sun God Lawn and Price Center Plaza.
• Thurgood Marshall College’s 34th Annual Cultural Celebration: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. music, dance, games and a children’s village with face painting, cotton candy, a henna workshop, scavenger hunt and world-art trivia.
• Visual Arts Open Studios: 1-7 p.m. Visitors can step inside 50 artist studios and interact with the emerging talent on campus as master’s and art practice doctoral students share their process and finished pieces. Visual Arts Facility, Russell Lane.
• Welcome to the Family! 2-4 p.m. The campus life festival hosted by Greek Life with a DJ, food and fun. Meet students and get a taste of student life on campus. Sun God Lawn.
• Family Game Night: 4-8 p.m. Porter’s Pub welcomes visiting admitted students, families and current students for a game night. Food and beverages for purchase. All ages welcome.
- UCSD’s Shu Chien receives National Medal of Science
- Community Leader’s View: Now is the time to get involved
- Community Leader’s View: Join UCSD at the Green Open House
- UCSD group to march in MLK Day parade, do community service
- Calit2 celebrates 10-year milestone
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=61718