‘Glitch’ slightly delays lifeguard tower progress
By Dave Schwab
A technical glitch in construction of the new lifeguard tower in La Jolla Shores has caused a temporary delay in the project, learned La Jolla Parks and Beaches, Inc. at its March 26 meeting.
“There are some issues with engineering and steel in the tower,” said Dan Daneri of the City Park and Recreation Department when asked about progress on the construction, which is slated to be complete before summer’s construction moratorium begins after Memorial Day.
In other matters:
• Shade structure: Committee member Mary Coakley said a bid was received for a proposed shade structure over the “JJ the Whale” sculpture at Kellogg Park to keep it cool enough in summer to allow children to access it.
“We got a $40,000 bid from a local vendor who is quite responsive and creative,” she said. “We’ve raised $27,000 of that $40,000 and we need to raise the remainder in the next 10 days to get it installed before summer.” Coakley added $450,000 has also been donated for a new restroom at the north end of Kellogg Park.
• 26th annual La Jolla Festival of the Arts: A request was made to allow small-scale, limited promotional use of Scripps Park prior to the June 23-24 art event at UCSD Warren Field. “We’d like to have someone standing in Scripps Park, posed as an art piece,” said Lauren Brunelle, noting the objective is to increase festival attendance. “It would be for a couple of hours on a Saturday or a Sunday out in the park.”
Committee members debated the suggestion. Some lauded it as novel, others doubted its appropriateness and whether it would set a precedent for promotion of other events. The group voted 9-1-3 in favor of the proposal.
• Next meeting: 4 p.m. Monday, April 23 at La Jolla Rec Center, 615 Prospect St.
- Eddie V’s parent company sold
- NFL’s Polamalu files suit over damages to LJ property
- New parks and beaches group redefining mission
- La Jolla financial advisers offer some help down the road to fiscal fitness
- Jack’s La Jolla heavily in debt, former owner declines comment
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=61634