Birch Aquarium’s Sea Days shows will explore life in the ocean along La Jolla shores
From Aquarium News
Science, Exploration and Adventure (SEA) Days will bring more cutting-edge information to Birch Aquarium visitors this winter. Three monthly events will focus on current ocean topics with hands-on exploration, special activities, and the chance to interact with Scripps Oceanography scientists. SEA Days also provide an ideal venue for students and Scouts to meet requirements for “Interview a Scientist” or career-day projects.
Each program is included with aquarium admission and takes place from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on the third Saturdays.
Here is the schedule:
• Dec. 17: Whale of a Tail. Watch for the gray whale migration from the aquarium’s Tide-Pool Plaza. If spying for whales is not enough, get up close to real whale baleen and learn why these mega marine mammals swim more than 12,000 miles each year. Join Scripps Oceanography scientists as they share stories of their research.
• Jan. 21: Third annual Underwater Parks Day. Meet animals that live in La Jolla Ecological Reserve, learn about the importance of these underwater treasures, and explore the best ways to enjoy the underwater parks. Note: There is an Underwater Parks Day Photo Contest. Help the aquarium share the beauty of these “hidden” parks by submitting your photographs of the San Diego-La Jolla Underwater Park and other marine reserves. Submission deadline: Jan. 6. Check aquarium.ucsd.edu for details.
• Feb. 18: Wave Power. We’ve all seen waves break along the California coastline, but did you know these waves are full of energy that could power communities? Discover the potential power within the oceans through hands-on activities and projects.
If you go
What: Birch Aquarium
Where: 2300 Expedition Way
Hours: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily
Contact: (858) 534-FISH
- New sea science programs surface at Birch Aquarium in La Jolla
- Oceanographer to discuss coastal habitats at Birch Aquarium on Monday
- Power Up! New exhibit at Birch Aquarium in La Jolla will have ‘boundless energy’
- Corky’s Corner: The tale of ‘Pink Bod’ lives on
- Shell-abration! Galápagos tortoises show off new home during ‘Reptilemania’
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=56230