On The Menu Recipe: The Shores Restaurant’s Barbecued Short Rib with Stuffed Portobello Mushroom
(Includes accompanying recipes for Sun Dried Pear-Currant Chutney and Spinach Frisée Salad)
• Sun Dried Pear-Currant Chutney 1 tablespoon olive oil1/4 cup minced leeks, white parts only, washed, pat dry1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds1/2 cup diced sun dried pear1/4 cup sun dried currants2 lemons, juiced1/4 cup unsweetened apple juice1/4 teaspoon cuminpinch cayenne pepper1/4 cup pine nuts, toastedsea salt
Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add leeks and mustard seeds. Cook without browning 2 minutes. Add remaining ingredients, except pine nuts. Season with cayenne pepper and salt. Simmer over low heat 30 minutes, until chutney has thickened. Fold in toasted pine nuts. Set aside. Cool.
• Portobello Mushroom6 portobello mushrooms, 5-inch cap1/4 cup balsamic vinegar1/4 cup olive oil1 tablespoon finely chopped rosemarySea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Pre-heat oven to 375-degrees F. Clean mushrooms thoroughly with damp towel or soft brush. Remove stems. Remove black gills from underside of cap with spoon. Combine remaining ingredients in mixing bowl. Whisk well. Marinate mushrooms 15 minutes in mixture. Remove from marinade. Place on baking sheet stem side up. Bake 10 minutes. Remove from oven. Cool.
• Caramelized Shallots2 tablespoon unsalted butter1 cup shallots, peeled, slice1 teaspoon silver thyme leaves1 lemon, juiced, zested2 tablespoon honeySea salt and freshly ground pepper
In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add shallots and thyme. Cook until golden. Add lemon zest, juice and honey. Cook to a deep golden brown. Set aside.
• Assembly1 pound boneless BBQ short ribs, shredded (purchase at your favorite deli)1/2 cup Winchester cumin gouda, shaved
Pre-heat broiler. In large mixing bowl, combine shallots and short ribs. Season to taste with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Divide mixture into 6 portions. Fill mushroom caps. Top with 1 tablespoon of sun dried pear currant chutney and shaved cumin gouda. Bake under broiler 3 to 4 minutes, or until melted.
• Presentation3 tablespoons pistachio oil2 tablespoons verjus1 cup spoon spinach, washed, patted dry1 cup frisée, washed, patted drySea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Whisk together pistachio oil and verjus. Season with salt and pepper. Combine with greens in large mixing bowl. Gently toss. Mound salad in center of serving plate. Lean baked portobello mushroom against salad. Top mushroom with 1 tablespoon pearcurrant chutney.
- On the Menu recipe: Crepes from Crepes & Corks
- Mediterranean Room’s Eggplant Caponata at La Valencia Hotel
- Bertrand at Mister A’s: European White Asparagus Soup
- On the Menu Recipe: Cassoulet from Iris
- On the Menu Recipe: Cucina Urbana’s Risotto Carbonara
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=54693