La Jolla students welcome TARA Oceans crew
Some students and families from the San Diego French American School in La Jolla gathered Oct. 25 at the Maritime Museum pier to welcome the schooner TARA Oceans when it arrived from Hawaii with 16 crewmembers and scientists.
The crew was welcomed by Mayor Jerry Sanders, Port Commission President Scott Peters and other dignitaries on Thursday.
They will stay in San Diego for three weeks to repair its sales and replace an engine before heading back to Lorient, France. While here they will spend time with colleagues at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography and will visit local schools.
The ship, docked near the San Diego Maritime Museum, is on a 71,000-mile voyage to study the climate, biodiversity and marine ecosystem. It was once owned by the late yachtsman Sir Peter Blake, who won the America’s Cup in 1995 in San Diego.
- Scripps Institution researchers part of team wrapping up greenhouse gas survey
- Thousands fill church to salute slain officer
- French-American school gets jump on Earth Week
- Torrey Pines Elementary goes online with holiday auction
- UCSD kicks off halloween weekend with pumpkin drop
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=53309