Best Bets for things to do in and around La Jolla, Sept. 22-29
Jazz is in the Air
An evening of music, art, tapas and wine is set for 6-8:30 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 24 at The Riford Center, 6811 La Jolla Blvd. Jazz great Bill Evans will perform along with local sensations Lori Bell, Tommy Gannon and Bob Magnussen. Artists from the AAASD, Jackie Zucker, Valerie Grischy, Dottie Stanley and others, will have new works on display. Tickets are $20-$25. (858) 459-0831.
Award-winning local youth musicians will perform at 5 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 25 at Torrey Pines Christian Church, 8230 La Jolla Scenic Drive North. The musical guests will include pianist Danli Liang, cellist Wan-Ji Lee, violinists Leonard Chen and Carolyn Lee, vocalist Jasmin White and organist Suzy Webster. A freewill offering will be taken. (858) 453-3550.
Keeping It Real
Classics 4 Kids will present 10-year-old piano prodigy Ethan Bortnick in concert at 3 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 25 at the Balboa Theatre in support of its music education programs. Bortnick will perform with a string ensemble of members from the Classics Philharmonic, its professional resident orchestra. The San Diego Children’s Choir will be included in the program. Tickets start at $45. (619) 231-2311. classics4kids.com.
Mariachi Garibaldi, the performing ensemble from Southwestern College, will be the next guest of the Family Concerts at La Jolla United Methodist Church series. The show starts 4 p.m. Sunday, Sept. 25 at the church, 6063 La Jolla Blvd. A freewill offering will be accepted. Children are welcome. (858) 454-7108. lajollaunitedmethodist.org
The La Jolla Newcomers Club welcomes members and non-
members to a “Coffee Around Town” get-together 10 a.m. Friday, Sept. 23 at the Crab Catcher’s Market Place, 1298 Prospect Street. lajollanewcomers.org
Chart a Course
The Map & Atlas Museum of La Jolla has changed its free, visitation hours to 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesdays and Thursdays, and the first and third Saturdays. The museum, at 7825 Fay Ave, Suite LL-A in the Merrill Lynch Building, features maps that span 500 years, from the 15th to the mid-20th century. They are part of the Stone Map and Atlas Foundation, headed by philanthropist Michael Stone, who has been collecting maps for 20 years. (855) 653-6277. firstname.lastname@example.org
J*Company Youth Theatre opens its 19th season with a Disney musical. In this Chinese fable full of daring action and hilarious characters, Fa Mulan, the only daughter of an aged warrior, challenges society’s expectations by taking her father’s place — stealing her father’s conscription notice, cutting her hair, and impersonating a man — to join the army countering a Hun invasion. Showtimes 7 p.m. Sept. 22 and 23; 8 p.m. Sept. 25 and Oct. 2; 1 and 4:30 p.m. Oct. 1. Garfield Theater, 4126 Executive Dr. (858) 362-1348. Sdcjc.org
In art news around town …
• Opening reception for “The Whitakers, The Southwest & Mexico,” 6:30–8:30 p.m. Friday, Sept, 23 at Athenaeum Music & Arts Library, 1008 Wall St. Charming exhibit celebrates the births of two distinctive American watercolorists, Frederick Whitaker (1891-1980) and Eileen Whitaker (1911-2005). The show will be on view to Nov. 5. The library is open 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday; 10 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. Wednesday. (858) 454-5872
• An opening reception for “New Out West,” featuring the work of Peter Alexander, Mary Corse and Robert Irwin, is 6-8 p.m. Sept. 23 at Quint Gallery, 7547 Girard Ave. (858) 454-3409. Quintgallery.com
• 4th annual Art of Fashion at the Timken Museum in Balboa Park features clothing designs inspired by 15 works of art from the permanent collection. Models, wearing designs made by Fashion Careers College students and graduates will showcase the fashions in front of the artworks. Le Hot Club, an exclusive VIP Preview Hour is 5:30-6:30 p.m. Sept. 24. The main event starts at 6:30 p.m. $100-$250 per person. Five designs remain on display Oct.1-30. (619) 239-5548. timkenmuseum.org
• From El Greco to Dali: Great Spanish Masters from the Perez Simon Collection, continues at the San Diego Museum of Art in Balboa Park through Nov. 6. (619) 232-7931. thesandiegomuseumofart.org
• Ann Agee is in the studio through Oct. 8 at Lux Art Institute, 1550 South El Camino Real, Encinitas. (760) 436-6611; luxrtinstitute org.
• Marcel Dyf’s impressionist oils are featured at Cosmopolitan Fine Arts, 7932 Girard Ave. through Sept. 30. (858) 456-9506. Cosmopolitanart.com.
- Best Bets for fun things to do in and around La Jolla, June 2-12
- Here are the weekend Best Bets picks for fun in and around La Jolla, May 12-19
- La Jolla’s Best Bets for fun events in and around town the week of March 10-19
- Best Bets for events in and around La Jolla, week of Feb. 3-11
- La Jolla’s BEST BETS for events – Dec. 27-Jan.6
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=50910