Lifeguards close area off Mission Beach after spotting dorsal fin
City News Service
Lifeguards closed a two-mile stretch of water off Mission Beach Thursday after spotting an 18-inch dorsal fin.
The sighting was made around 12:30 p.m. near Tower 15, prompting lifeguards to close the waters one mile in each direction, Lt. Nick Lerma said.
Lerma said the size of the fin indicates that it belongs to a large shark.
Lifeguards searched the ocean with the help of a San Diego Fire-Rescue helicopter but no other sightings were reported, Lerma said.
The area will remain closed for the rest of Thursday but will be open Friday morning, he said.
- Warm weather brings beachgoers, rescues
- Sanders vows not to pass water cost increases to customers
- 12-year-old orca dies at SeaWorld San Diego
- Body found in burning vehicle at Clairemont mall
- Fire departments launch computer communications
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=49141