‘Fill the Fin’ campaign raising funds for swimming lessonsLifeguards, City Council President Tony Young and Councilwoman Sherri Lightner gathered at La Jolla Cove on Aug. 11 to kick off the “Fill the Fin” campaign, a fundraiser to provide swim lessons for inner city youth. Noting drowning is the leading cause of non-natural death among children under age 5, Young stressed the importance of water safety. He pointed out an estimated 33,000 children ages 5 to 12 in his council district have never taken swim lessons. Money can be donated to the “Fill the Fin” campaign at lifeguard stations from Ocean Beach to Torrey Pines through Aug. 19. For more information call Jeffrey Hatfield at (619) 944-4288 or go online at facebook.com/fillthefin.
- Lifeguards rescue swimmer off La Jolla Cove
- City still not enforcing rules on vendors at La Jolla’s Children’s Pool
- Friends honor retiring La Jolla Rec Center director
- Coast Walk offers views of The Jewel’s natural wonders
- Collision accents safety issues on Torrey Pines Road
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=48088