DeMaio talks about his jobs plan
City News Service
City Councilman Carl DeMaio on Thursday unveiled his “Pathway to Prosperity” plan, which he hopes will spur job creation in San Diego.
DeMaio is the second mayoral candidate to announce an effort to increase the number of jobs to help San Diegans recover from the recession.
Elements of his plan include:
• creation of a 15-member jobs task force to include area businessmen Jerry Navarra, Phil Pace and Leo Hamel;
• appointment of a deputy mayor who will focus on job creation;
• pushing the Navy to complete its new headquarters;
• starting a “jobs hotline” that citizens would be able to call with job creation ideas;
• launching a “Hire a Youth” program to provide training and jobs for5,000 young people ages 14-21; and
• creating an incubator for clean-tech businesses.
“We need to get San Diegans back to work and we must aggressively pursue cutting-edge ideas that will make San Diego the leader in innovation, entrepreneurship, and job creation,” DeMaio said.
On Wednesday, Assemblyman Nathan Fletcher, R-San Diego, was appointed to chair the new Select Committee on Job Creation for the New Economy. Fletcher has made jobs and economic growth a centerpiece of his campaign for mayor.
- City’s top operating officer advises caution on library, rec center moves
- Mayor’s budget proposes to end brownouts, cut library, park hours
- Dumanis to run for mayor
- City report looks at spending, revenue
- Proposed water rate hike protested, but clears committee
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=47463