Best Bets for cool things to do in and around La Jolla, Aug. 4-13
Stop by Wisteria Cottage, 780 Prospect St. this weekend to view the abstract geometrical artwork of La Jollan Mohan Sundaresan from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, Aug. 6-7. The free event doubles as a benefit for the La Jolla Historical Society with a $5 raffle ticket buying a chance to win an original Sundaresan painting, “The Setting of the Jewel.” The show will feature six canopy tents and some 60 works of art, including pieces conceived in aluminum and on canvas. There will also be numerous affordably priced pieces mounted on poster board in a large bin. (858) 450-5335. www.artlawn.info
Ho’olu komo la kaua
The La Jolla Recreation Center will host its annual Summer Luau Senior Dance (for those ages 55 and older) from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 5 at 615 Prospect St. The cost is $10 per person for dinner, dessert, coffee and entertainment. Reservations at (858) 552-1658.
The Friends of Riford Library will present an “International Film Festival” with three independent films to celebrate its Adult Summer Reading Program. See “Illegal,” 10 a.m. Saturday, Aug. 6, followed by “Welcome” at noon. “Mugabe and the White African,” screens at 2 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 7. All are invited to the free event in the library community room, 7555 Draper Ave. (858) 552-1657.
Concerts by the Sea
Get ready for some Motown, soul funk and jazz blues when Blue Breeze Band entertains 2-4 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 7 with a free concert at Scripps Park at La Jolla Cove. Concerts are funded by sponsors and proceeds from concessions (hot dogs, sodas, chips, candy, popcorn, ice cream bars, fruit popsicles) and raffle sales each week. (858) 454-1600. lajollaconcertsbythesea.org
Next up Aug. 14: Big Time Operator. Aug. 21: Lao Tizer. Aug. 28: Rockola.
Sept. 4: Bill Magee Blues Band.
SummerFest Is Here!
The 25th annual La Jolla Musical Society’s SummerFest 2011 continues with 15 chamber concerts from 70 world-class artists, Aug. 5-26, in Sherwood Auditorium at the Museum of Contemporary Art, 700 Prospect St. SummerFest also offers enrichment events (Aug. 11, 18 and 25), a gala benefit (Aug. 13) and free, open rehearsals and musician encounters. Concert tickets $40-$75 at (858) 459-3728 or ljms.org, where you will also find a schedule of events. This week’s concerts:
Aug. 5, 7:30 p.m. Opening Night: 25th Anniversary Celebration
Aug. 6, 7:30 p.m. Gil Shaham & Friends
Aug. 7, 3 p.m. Kalichstein-Laredo-Robinson: The Trio of Our Time
Aug. 9, 7:30 p.m. Mozart I: Soul of a Genius
Aug. 10, 7:30 p.m. An Evening with Olga Kern
Aug. 12, 7:30 p.m. Serenades & Romance
• Caroline Sheen stars as Mary Poppins, with Katie Balen as Jane Banks, Bryce Baldwin as Michael Banks and Nicolas Dromard as Bert in the National Tour Company of “Mary Poppins,” Aug. 10-21 at San Diego Civic Theatre. Tickets from $20. (619) 570-1100. Broadwaysd.com. Photo by Joan Marcus
• The Old Globe’s Summer Shakespeare continues through Sept. 25 under the stars in Balboa Park with “Much Ado About Nothing,” “The Tempest,” and “Amadeus.” (619) 23-GLOBE. theoldglobe.org. Added: Hersey Felder stars in “Maestro the Art of Leonard Berstein,” through Aug. 28 at The Globe.
• The musical, “Sleeping Beauty Wakes,” is at Mandell Weiss Theatre, La Jolla Playhouse to Aug. 28. Tickets from $37. (858) 550-1010. lajollaplayhouse.org
• The side-splitting musical romp “Five Course Love,” at North Coast Repertory Theatre in Solana Beach has been extended to Sunday, Aug. 14. Tickets $30-$47. (858) 481-1055. northcoastrep.org
• San Diego Repertory Theatre presents “The Who’s Tommy,” through Aug. 14 at the Lyceum in Horton Plaza. Tickets from $42. (619) 544-1000. sdrep.org
• “Hairspray” continues through Aug. 14 from San Diego Jr. Theatre at Casa del Prado in Balboa Park. Tickets $8-$14. (619) 239-8355. juniortheatre.com.
The 21st annual San Diego Music Awards (7 p.m. Monday, Aug. 8 at Humphrey’s By the Bay) will feature performances from some of the town’s best emerging and established artists, including Wavves, The Silent Comedy, Little Hurricane (pictured), Cuckoo Chaos, Dynamite Walls, Gilbert Castellanos, Candye Kane and Sue Palmer, and 2011 Lifetime Achievement Award winners The Penetrators.Tickets at www.sandiegomusicawards.com Proceeds to benefit the San Diego Music Foundation’s Guitars for Schools program.
- Best Bets for fun things to do in and around La Jolla, June 23-30
- Best Bets for interesting things to do in and around La Jolla, June 9-16
- Best Bets: Fun and interesting things to do in and around La Jolla, May 26-June4
- Best Bets for interesting things to do in and around La Jolla, April 14-23
- La Jolla’s BEST BETS for events the week of Jan. 20-28
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=47431