Survivor Beach gathering set for Sunday
The 5th Annual Survivor Beach on Sunday will renew the yearly gathering of surfers, cancer survivors and spectators who join on the beach just south of Scripps Pier to lay down their surfboards in honor of cancer survivors everywhere.
Everyone is encouraged to come and bring a surfboard. The fun begins at 8 a.m. with registration, followed by presentations, Polynesian dancers and at 9:30 a.m. participants line up their surfboards, hoping to create the longest line of surfboards lying in the sand nose-to-tail. In 2010, approximately 200 people made a line that was just over three football fields long.
Created in 2007, Survivor Beach was created as a way to bring together individuals to show their support for cancer research and to honor all individuals in their fight against cancer. The event is a prelude to the annual fundraiser for the UCSD Moores Cancer Center, the Luau & Longboard Invitational on Aug. 21. Go to longboardluau.org/ for information.
- Luau & Longboard Invitational seeks volunteers for La Jolla event
- Reagan on Reagan: Ron Reagan talks about life with father
- Bird Rock group negotiating to have farmers market
- Colony Hill home remains yellow-tagged after mudslide
- Bonair entrance at La Jolla’s Riford Center stirs up neighborhood again
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=43482