Your View: There’s another side to Children’s Pool donation
Whoever wrote the story on the dedication of Children’s Pool 80 years ago in the May 26 edition failed to present the facts accurately. The seawall, not the pool, was presented to the City of San Diego on May 31 by Jacob Chandler Harper, attorney for and close confidante of Ellen Browning Scripps.
Most people today would not agree that the seawall was EBS’s most important gift. Torrey Pines Park and Scripps Institution of Oceanography are just two of the more significant gifts she made. Ms. Scripps loved the natural world and especially the sea, and if she lived today, she would no doubt want Casa Beach (enclosed by the seawall) to be a rookery for harbor seals.
La Jolla homeowner who grew up in La Jolla
- Gathering tonight to mark 80th anniversary of La Jolla Children’s Pool
- La Jolla Children’s Pool dedicated 80 years ago
- Opinion: Dog ban upholds Marine Mammal act
- Opinion: One great white shark off La Jolla is one too many
- OPINION: Children’s Pool barrier should be rejected
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=42704