Best Bets for fun things to do in and around La Jolla, the week of May 6-May13
Weekend Artists Receptions
• See the latest paintings and sculpture from San Diego artists Lynn Engstrom and James Watts (pictured) at “Compulsive Positions,” on exhibit through June 11 at R.B. Stevenson Gallery. A pubic reception opens the show 5-8 p.m. Friday, May 6 at 7661 Girard Ave. Regular hours are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday. (858) 459-3917 rbstevensongallery.com
• Meet UCSD’s Visual Arts Department undergrads at “What’s Happening Now?” a reception for their works, 6-10 p.m. Friday, May 6 at the Mandeville Center on campus. Expect performance, video, painting, drawing, sculpture, and roundtable discussions.
More via e-mail: email@example.com
• Greet James Verbicky, Matt Devine, and William Goodman at their new show “Fresh Blood,” 6-8 p.m. Saturday, May 7 at Madison Gallery, 1020 Prospect St. Refreshments will be served as visitors view media paintings, sculpture and mixed-media works. (858) 459-0836. Madisongalleries.com
• Another two-person show comes from Romanian artist Irina Negulescu and La Jolla’s own Scott Wright with the largest collection of both artists’ work to date, opening 6-9 p.m. Saturday, May 7 at Colosseum Fine Arts, 7946 Ivanhoe Ave. The show will remain through May 14. The reception will also feature couture jewelry and gowns by Anjela Piccard being modeled, plus a ballet performance by TraeLee Costello. A portion of the proceeds will benefit the San Diego Visual Arts Network. (619) 795-3704.
Concert for Kids
The New Children’s Museum will celebrate its third anniversary with a Birthday Bash featuring Rockola and School of Rock from noon to 4 p.m. Saturday, May 7 at 200 West Island Ave. in San Diego. There will be arts and crafts and much more. Festivities are free with museum admission, $10. The children’s museum reinvented itself to open a new state-of-the-art facility dedicated to the arts in May 2008 — 25 years after opening the original La Jolla location in 1983. (619) 233-8792. thinkplaycreate.org
The La Jolla Garden Club will host its annual Gardeners’ Market from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday, May 7 at the Chase Bank Patio, 7777 Girard Ave. Shoppers will find fresh floral arrangements, orchids, blooming potted baskets, note cards, unusual bird houses, and pass along plants available. Event boosters include Green Gardens Nursery, Cups, Starbucks, Chase Bank, and Vons. The gardeners’ market is the club’s fundraiser in support of horticultural scholarships. (858) 454-6227.
Coastal Treasures Tour
The San Dieguito Art Guild will present its 17th annual Art and Garden Tour from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. May 7 and 8 with eight homes and gardens on display along the coast from Del Mar to Encinitas. Tickets are $20 for the self-guided tour. The Off Track Gallery will open at 9:30 a.m. for ticket sales at Lumberyard Plaza, 937 S. Coast Hwy 101. San Diegutio Art Guild artists will have booths at the homes and will offer refreshments. Tickets are good for both days so guests may re-visit a home or split the tour between two days. Offtrackgallery.com
• The 10th annual Gator-by-the-Bay Zydeco and Cajun Festival returns to Spanish Landing Park on North Harbor Drive from 10:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. May 7 and 8 with 85 performances on six stages, dance and music lessons, storytelling, Creole food court and more. Admission: $30. Schedule at gatorbythebay.com
• The San Diego Botanic Garden’s annual Chocolate Festival runs 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, May 7. Tastings and demonstrations, kids crafts, booths with Mother’s Day gifts, plus garden walks. Admission $12-$6. (760) 436-3036. Sdbgarden.org
Opera & Instrumentalism
Erica Miner and David Amos of XLNC1-radio will present three lectures comparing the works of Handel, Wagner and Puccini at 7:30 p.m. May 5, 12 and 19 at The Athenaeum, 1008 Wall St. Series tickets $45-$30. (858) 454-5872. Ljathenaeum.org
See the Complexions Company take dance in new directions at 2 and 8 p.m. Saturday, May 7 at Birch North Park Theatre as gusts of the La Jolla Music Society. Free preludes with Peter Kalinas at 1 and 7 p.m. Tickets $30-$65. (858) 459-3728. Ljms.org
Range of Recorders
In a salute to Henry VIII and Tudor England, the Flanders Recorder Quartet will be joined by soprano Cecile Kempenaers and narrator Larry Rosenwald, 7 p.m. Sunday, May 8 at St. James by-the-Sea, 743 Prospect. The concert comes from the San Diego Early Music Society. Tickets $18-$25. (619) 291-8246.
San Diego Junior Theatre presents “Disney’s Beauty and the Beast,” based on the Academy Award-winning animated feature and directed by Rayme Scaironi through May 15 at Casa del Prado Theatre, Balboa Park. The curtain rises 7 p.m. Fridays; 2 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays with an ASL-interpreted performance Saturday, May 14. Tickets $8-$14 at (619) 239-8355 or Juniortheatre.com
- La Jolla’s Best Bets for fun things to do in and around town April 28-May 7
- La Jolla’s Best Bets for fun things to do in and around town, week of April 21-28
- La Jolla’s Best Bets for events, the week of March 17-March 25
- La Jolla’s Best Bets for fun events in and around town the week of March 10-19
- La Jolla’s Best Bets for Events, week of March 4 through March 11
Short URL: http://www.lajollalight.com/?p=40832